[dehai-news] (Reuters): Ethiopian troops cross border, clash with Somalis

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Fri May 21 2010 - 15:23:10 EDT

Ethiopian troops cross border, clash with Somalis

Fri May 21, 2010 5:00pm GMT

NAIROBI (Reuters) - At least seven people were killed when Ethiopian
soldiers clashed with residents of the northern Somali town of Buhoodle on
the border of the northern regions of Puntland and Somaliland, residents
said on Friday.

Somalis in south central regions say Ethiopian troops routinely venture
across the border and clash with Islamists controlling their towns.

This is the first time soldiers from the neighbouring country are fighting
militia in the semi-autonomous and breakaway regions in the north.

"The Ethiopians have been on our side in Buhoodle for seven days. I don't
know how the fighting began but I have seen 11 wounded people being taken to
hospital," Mohamed Elmi, an elderly man in the town, told Reuters.

He said seven Somalis had been killed in the violence.

"Those who were killed were residents, not militias fighting with the
Ethiopians," he said, adding that two Ethiopian soldiers could also have
been killed.

In 2006, Ethiopia sent troops to defend Somalia's interim government with
tacit U.S. approval. The force advanced towards the capital rapidly, taking
Mogadishu and driving the Islamists to Somalia's southern tip.

That drew protests from some in the Muslim world and enraged the Islamists,
who regrouped to launch an insurgency threatening President Sheikh Sharif
Sheikh Ahmed's government.

"There is so much violence. We can still hear guns firing," said Safia
Yusuf, a mother. "A lot of people are fleeing and we are scared the clashes
will continue because the Ethiopians haven't left and militias are getting
reinforcements."

Violence between Islamist groups and Somalia's weak government has killed
more than 21,000 people since the start of 2007 and uprooted at least 1.5
million.

C Thomson Reuters 2010 All rights reserved