[dehai-news] (The Citizen Daily, Tanzania) Eritrea arrive confront Twiga Stars

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Wed May 19 2010 - 09:00:11 EDT

http://thecitizen.co.tz/sport/16-football/2019-eritrea-arrive-confront-twiga-stars

  Eritrea arrive confront Twiga Stars
   digg
By Majuto Omary

Eritrea will arrive on Friday ready for their African Women Championship
first leg qualifier against the national team, Twiga Stars, at Uhuru Stadium
on Sunday.

The local soccer queens ousted Ethiopia in the first round of the qualifiers
with a resounding 4-2-goal aggregate to set up the two-leg second round
showdown with Eritrea.

TFF secretary general Fredrick Mwakalebela said yesterday that Eritrea would
land with a contingent of 23 people including players and official.

The TFF official said Twiga Stars were faring well with training ahead of
the tricky match.

“They are in high morale and we hope that they will utilise their home
advantage to post a big margin victory,” he said.

Should Twiga Queens see off Eritrea, they will guarantee their place in next
year’s World Cup finals to be held in South Africa.

The team started preparations for the match last week under head coach
Rogasian Kaijage who has issued a rallying cry, urging Tanzanians to support
Twiga Stars.

Team skipper Sophia Mwakisili expressed her confidence to shove off Eritrea.

“I am confident that we stand better chances to qualify for the finals. What
we need is to maintain our form and concentration,” she said.

Mwakisili added: “We've played Eritrea three times, which is six matches and
we won all of them. So, I don't think they are a real obstacle for us.”

Last week, the team received a morale booster when they were granted Sh10
million and an invitation to train in the US should they qualify for the
World Cup.

The money and invitation came from a local businesswoman, Rahma Al-Kharoosi,
the matron for Twiga Stars, who also promised to offer the team full
sponsorship.