[dehai-news] (TDN) Tanzania's women's national team will face Eritrea on May 23

From: B-Haile (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Sat May 15 2010 - 21:33:02 EDT

Tanzania Daily News (Dar es Salaam)

Tanzania: Twiga Stars Likely to Tour U.S.

Dar Es Salaam - THE national women's football team, Twiga Stars, received a major boost ahead of their African Women Championship qualifier against Eritrea after being offered 10m/- and an invitation to the United States of America.

The matron for Twiga Stars, Rahma Al-Kharoosi donated the cash, which meant to facilitate Twiga Stars camp ahead of their African Women Championship qualification match against Eritrea later this month. Rahma presented cash money to Twiga Stars manager Furaha Francis in Dar es Salaam today.

"This is to show my distinct support to the Twiga Stars team and I would like to ask my fellow Tanzanians and everyone who wishes the best for this team and Tanzania as a nation to show their support and contribute so that the team would play in their first African Nations Cup finals."

"It's very important match for Twiga Stars, if they win the team will qualify for the finals, we need to show support." Rahma also had an enticing promise to Twiga Stars when she said that the team would train in the United States for two weeks, if they will manage to book their place in next year's Women's Nation Cup finals in South Africa at the expenses of Eritrea.

The Tanzanian queens will be on road to take on Eritrea on May 23, before hosting their opponents two weeks later. The Horn of African ladies are the last hurdle in Twiga's quest for the first ever appearance in the continental event.

The Twiga Stars matron has arranged the invitation in association with Washington Freedom from the USA. While in the USA, the team will play four matches, two matches with the host Washington Freedom in Washington DC and then will have one game with Seattle Women team and another with Whitecaps women team.

"We're also working hard to try to fix one more game with Canadian women team. So far we're waiting for their reply but the negotiations have gone well and hope will soon confirm the match."

Rahma believes the potential two week stint will give Twiga Stars exposure and experience to do well if after all they will qualify for the South Africa's event.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201005140804.html