[dehai-news] Dallas/Fort Worth Successful 2nd Hizbawi Mekete!

From: YPFDJ DALLAS (ypfdjdallas@gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 14 2010 - 13:14:43 EDT

On Saturday, May 8th, 2010 the Eritrean community of Dallas/Fort Worth and
the surrounding areas came together for the 2nd Hizbawi Mekete hosted by
Shimagle mekete in conjunction with YPFDJ. The 2nd public seminar was
organized in continuation of the worldwide campaign to raise awareness and
inform the public of how to respond to the unjust and unfair sanctions
the UN Security Council placed on Eritrea.

The Youth Mekete began with a moment of silence followed by an opening
statement from a YPFDJ board member, introducing the guest of speaker,
Sophia Tesfamariam, sharing her many achievements and continued dedication
to serving Eritrea. Mrs. Tesfamariam provided an in-depth analysis of the
media campaign against Eritrea and explained the significance of searching
for one's own answer and researching the truth rather than succumbing to
what is fed to them. The youth present committed to writing letters and
sending postcards continuously to their representatives without ceasing till
their voices were heard.

The question and answer portion of the discussion was also beneficial,
because it allowed for an opportunity to receive clarity on current affairs
in Eritrea.

Shortly after, the public Hizbawi Mekete began with a warm welcome from the
Shimagle Mekete Chair Andehymanot Berhe regarding recent developments to the
unjust and illegal UN Resolution 1907, and the strength of the local
community outcry to it. The seminar guest speaker Sophia Tesfamariam
explained the origins and violations of the illegal sanctions and the
significance of our actions. She also explicated that America’s claim
of Eritrea's refusal to engage with the international community is false and
unfounded, rather that it is America that has refused to engage Eritrea.
After Mrs. Tesfamariam's presentation, community leaders and members shared
words and reiterated their steadfast stance in striving to secure a stronger
Eritrea.

Following a brief break, where community members took the chance to sign
post cards and letters to president Barack Obama, the women of Hamade
shared kind words and their appreciation for Sophia's work to the people of
Eritrea. And all the women present were surprised when YPFDJ and the
children of the community handed them flowers in honor of Mother's Day,
recognizing that they truly are the backbone of our community and that their
presence and involvement is priceless.

Eritreans in Dallas continue to realize the significance of their role in
ensuring these actions against their homeland, do not hurt the people of
Eritrea, and they plan to do that by making their voices heard right here in
their local areas! YPFDJ pledged to continue contacting their local
representatives, providing information to the public, and raising awareness.
The Shimagle Mekete and the Dallas Eritrean community also committed to the
following resolutions.

1. We condemn the UNjust and baseless UN Security Council Resolution
1907 (2009) imposing sanctions against Eritrea and we call the UN Security
Council to immediately repeal the resolution.

2. We call the Obama Administration to realign its Horn of Africa
policies honoring its promises for constructive engagement and stop its
hostile treatment of Eritrea.

3. We call on the Canadian government to stop its silence and engage
constructively to repeal the UNjust UN Security Council Resolution
1907(2009).

4. We call on the UN Security Council, the US government, and the
international community to enforce the final and binding decisions of the
Eritrea-Ethiopia Boundary Commission by ensuring that the Ethiopian
government immediately vacate sovereign Eritrean territories and
unconditionally implement the demarcation decision on the ground.

5. We resolve to defend and safeguard the Eritrean independence and
sovereignty achieved against all odds through the monumental sacrifice of
its people. We pledge to stand against all enemies of our motherland trying
to saw discord among our people.

6. We praise the steadfastness of our people and the clear policies of
the Eritrean government based on self-reliance ensuring food security,
development of basic infrastructure, distribution of public health and
education, and we pledge our continued support of our people and government.

7. We extend our support and appreciation of the Eritrean Defense
Forces who are always vigilant in safeguarding the sovereignty and
independence of Eritrea.

8. We support the Eritrean Government development program and Warsai
Yekealo Projects.

To conclude the Mekete, just as in the previous month the
community successfully sent over 2000 letters and postcards to local elected
officials on the national Action Day, hundreds more were signed, sealed, and
ready to be delivered over the course of the event.

--
-YPFDJ Dallas