[dehai-news] Garoweonline.com: Al Shabaab fighters expand in central Somalia, 10 killed

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Fri Apr 30 2010 - 08:43:33 EDT

Al Shabaab fighters expand in central Somalia, 10 killed
Apr 30, 2010 - 2:16:42 PM

At least 10 combatants were killed and over 20 others injured in heavy
clashes that pitted insurgent group Al-Shabaab against pro-government Sufi
militia group Ahlu Sunnah Wal Jama in central Somali villages, Radio Garowe
reports.

Fighting erupted in the strategic central Somali village of El Bahay in
located 80km north of Guriel town in Galgadud region where fighters from
Al-Shabaab insurgents attacked the village, resulting the death of at least
six combatants.

"We attacked and captured the area from our foes. It is part of our plans to
expand our grip on territories in central regions," said an Al-Shabaab
official.

Ahlu Sunnah's grand chairman Ma'alin Mohammud Sheikh Hassan confirmed the
fighting but refuted claims of losing the area to Al-Shabaab.

Al-Shabaab fighters also carried out attacks on a military base used by
government troops and pro-government Ahlu Sunnah in the north of Beledweyne,
the capital of Hiran region.

"Today we attacked a training base used by government troops and their Ahlu
Sunnah colleagues. We captured the base and some weapons," said Yussuf Ali
Ugas, Al-Shabaab commander in Hiran region.

A government official said the insurgent fighters attacked the base but they
repelled them and inflicted casualty.

Even though the fightings have stopped, tension still remain high as both
sides is said to be amassing troops for another battle over the villages.

Since mid 2009, the two sides have been engaged in deadly warfare over the
control of some central Somali towns, which they both have large swathes of
areas under their control.