[dehai-news] (WFMZ-TV, Allentown, PA) African Author Speaks At PSU Berks

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Thu Apr 15 2010 - 10:37:04 EDT

To watch video click here
http://www.wfmz.com/news/23155760/detail.html

African Author Speaks At PSU Berks

Dwayne Parker | Reporter

Text SizeAAA
Watch VideoSPRING TOWNSHIP, Pa. -- A historian documenting a relatively new
African country spoke at Penn State Berks. It didn't take students long to
understand the importance of the far way country and culture.

He's decided to document the history of Eritrea. For more than 100 years,
Eritrea has had a violent and politically problematic past with Italian
colonizers, the Egyptians, the British and Ethiopia.

Alemseged Tesfai fought in the Eritrean People's Liberation Front, and in
1993, the United Nations recognized Eritrea as a nation. Now Tesfai is
documenting the country's history, and explains why it's important to him.

"Because Eritreans never had this experience of writing their own history."

Now since the most of Eritrea's history is written in the country's native
language of Tigrinya, students here at Penn State Berks had the chance to
get a history lesson from a history maker.

Tesfai spoke with students, and many of them say they see a strategic value
to learning about Eritrea's

"Especially because of globalization, the integration of different cultures
and businesses, it's very important that we know about the cultures and
histories of all the countries throughout the world."

"As we have globalization It's good to know how the international relations
play a role in that, and meeting authors like him, it gives us a chance to
present and understand different cultures."

Tesfai says a lack of local documents, will make his job difficult, but he
says he's ready.

"It will be a pioneering work and that makes me feel great, this is a
service to my country."