[dehai-news] A DAY OF INSPIRATION - Sandman Blasts ... He shouts Eritrea!

From: Araia G. Ephrem (agephrem@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 08 2010 - 13:37:26 EDT

A DAY OF INSPIRATION

PAGE LINK: http://mestyat.com/sandman.html

INTERVIEW LINK: http://mestyat.com/sound/sandman.mp3

One morning, I left a message in his FaceBook board. I left my number with a note to call me pronto. I was following his art tight, and I wanted to know him closer. After all, he is an Eritrean! And he was representing Eritrea.

Pronto! He responded the next morning. He was soft spoken and polite. We hit it off right away. I told him that I loved what he did with Yemane Baria's "Adeye" song. I never was into rap, but Sador Fessahaye (aka: Sandman Negus), an Eritrean rapper from Crenshaw District, LA, made me feel something different about rap songs. Rap songs were about feelings after all! I didn't know that before. He taught me about rap, and I started understanding him.

We conversed and talked more. We made friends soon. We exchanged ideas and philosophies. I also learned some street words in no time.

That was weeks before February 22, 2010; a date Eritreans took down to the streets snarling at the UNSC's illegally imposed sanctions against Eritrea and its people.

After the UNSC passed a sanction resolution against Eritrea and its people on December 23, 2009; I was not disappointed. I was just flabbergasted with the laws of the the world. In my dismay with the UNSC's decision, I thought of Eritrea. I thought of all the brave sons/daughters of Eritrea who are willing to shout for Eritrea. I thought of Sandman Negus.

One night, I called him, and told him about the sanctions. He didn't sit well with the idea of sanctions against Eritrea. He asked me "Why?" I didn't have an answer for him, but shared with him some facts and presentations regarding the sanction. He digested it well, and wanted to do something. He wanted to do something fair.

I asked him if he was coming to San Francisco to demonstrate against the illegal sanctions imposed against Eritrea by the UNSC. He was like, "what time?" And he told me that he wishes to stand tall and voice against such an injustice. So he planned to drive up to San Francisco. And for such a memorable day he drove out from Los Angles to San Francisco. The youth darted off to Oakland.

He missed directions several times, and called me to re-course him. By then, I felt I got a brother! Soft spoken and polite. And I was patiently leading him to the tent. Soothing him to land home. For me, every Eritrean is an angel, thus this rapper was no different.

It was a Sunday evening when we met in person. I felt close to him for some reason. He was beaming with joy, and I was really happy to have him in Oakland. After the demonstration day, Monday evening, he rapped on the open street of Oakland. He was energetic and enticing. I felt grooved in his rhythm. I kanda felt "I got a brother" in art and spirit! No matter what logic and life whispers in my ears, at least for that moment I was throttled, I was fully alive. Sandman rapped in the street; before my eyes; along with other Eritrean brothers cheering. And it was cool. We chilled!

What transpired after wards is a story in itself. Forward is all I can say. Because, Eritrea has gotten it all. We have gotten it all! That is why I choose living hopeful! Look around us! We are surrounded with angels hoovering over us!

Now, I sleep with sweet dreams. I have gotten it all. We have gotten it all. Soft spoken angels hoover over us! The land I call Eritrea has angels hoovering over it. They all love her. Glory!

PAGE LINK: http://mestyat.com/sandman.html

INTERVIEW LINK: http://mestyat.com/sound/sandman.mp3

God/Allah Bless Eritrea!
Glory to Our Martyrs!