[dehai-news] (HipHopDX) Eritrean-American rapper Nipsey Hussle Talks about his Eritrean roots, philosophy, gang culture ...

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Thu Apr 01 2010 - 08:16:36 EST

http://www.complex.com/blogs/2010/03/31/interview-nipsey-hussle-talks-african-roots-snoop-dogg-co-sign-and-rappers-reppin-gangs/

Nipsey Hussle Talks Gang Culture To Complex

March 31, 2010 07:03:00 AM CDT | by Danielle HarlingShare8

In an interview with Complex.com, rapper Nipsey Hussle touched on a number
of subjects including his roots in Eritrea, philosophy, gang culture,
working with Drake, and more.

When asked about switching from gang culture to life as a music artist
Nipsey explained that he’s not willing to risk life as an artist to return
to the gang culture.

“I don’t know nobody in the streets and was active with this gangbang shit
like I was and my homie was,” Nipsey explained. “And I ain’t the hardest
nigga, that ain’t what I’m saying. We were just out here with the shit for
real. That was our day-to-day. It’s hard at the same time, but I know that
what I’m doing is a first, so I accept that feeling of being in unfamiliar
territory right now. I feel like I’d be spitting on my blessing to go back
in, backtracking, and doing some shit that’ll risk my freedom.”

Nipsey also revealed that his collaboration with rapper Drake was for the
most part a result of a Tweet made by Drake about Nipsey.

“…we just chopped it up and had mutual respect for each other’s movements,”
said Nipsey. “And then he was like ‘I got a record that’s crazy, I’ma shoot
it to you.’ And it didn’t have no hook, just a verse. The shit was hot. I
locked my verse in, shot it back, and he was like, ‘Do the hook.’ And I was
like, ‘Nah, you do the hook my nigga! This what you do! Do the auto-tune
shit, make the shit hot, knock it out, cuzz!’ A week later he sent it back,
and I was like, ‘Yeah, that’s on fire.’”

Towards the conclusion of his interview with Complex.com, Nipsey was asked
how he felt about older artists not being as supportive of the new movement.
He then explained that there’s no co-signs needed for him to continue making
music.

“Don’t do me no favors,” said Nipsey. “Let me run mine, you feel me? I don’t
need no help…A lot of niggas did that, created their brand, went out into
the world and did what they did without a co-sign. Dre did it by his own. My
thing is that I don’t give no person that much power over my path that I’m
walking.”