[dehai-news] (AFP) Paris legal complaint targets Djibouti president

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Fri Mar 19 2010 - 16:45:01 EST

Paris legal complaint targets Djibouti president

16/03/2010

A Djibouti businessman and opposition figure filed a civil complaint in
Paris against President Ismael Omar Guelleh for crimes including murder
and extortion, he and his lawyer said Tuesday.

Abdourahman Boreh, who has headed infrastructure and public works
companies in Djibouti, accused the president and his wife Odette Haid of
murder, kidnapping, torture, acts of barbarism and extortion.

According to Boreh's lawyer Olivier Morice, the Franco-Djibouti
businessman "has been the target of threats and intimidation by Djibouti
authorities, which forced him to flee Djibouti in autumn 2008."

At first the attacks targeted his assets but later they also included
business associates and family members, two of whom died in suspect
circumstances, Morice said.

"The actions of the Djibouti authorities can be explained by the role
that the presidential couple fears Boreh could play in the next
presidential election that must be held in 2011," Morice said.

"I've lost more than 30 million dollars (22 million euros) and I no
longer have any commercial activities in Djibouti. I had to close down
everything," Boreh told AFP.

http://www.expatica.com/fr/news/french-rss-news/paris-legal-complaint-ta
rgets-djibouti-president_31377.html

Read also:

Somalia: Djiboutian tycoon sues President Ishmael Omar Gelle of Djibouti

Mogadishu Friday 19 March 2010 SMC

Somaliweyn - Mohammed Omar Hussein

A high-flying Djiboutian born merchant, has prosecuted the President of
Djibouti his Excellency Ishmael Omar Gelle and some of his family
members.

Abdurrahman Booreh how has once been a close friend to President Gelle
of Djibouti, before they repel, has prosecuted President Gelle a high
court in Paris.

The tycoon Abdurrahman has accused the President of using all might, and
has violated his wealth back in home (Djibouti).

"The regime of President Gelle is oppressing the traders and the
judiciary system in the country, there is immense starvation in the
country wide, which needs to be tackled, but the officials seem to be
turning their eyes from the facts" said Abdurrahman Borreh speaking to
Somaliweyn Website.

On the other hand Mr. Booreh said that the regime of President Gelle is
targeting members of his family.

"Some individuals in the regime of President Gelle has killed some of my
immediate next of kin, and the President is a dictator and I am not
proposing his term of Presidency to be increased and if this happens, I
am officially saying that I am an opposition member" added Booreh.

On the other hand the government of President Gelle has termed the
statement from Mr. Booreh as a ridiculous.

Honorable Yassin Elmi Buuh the Internal Minister of the government
Djibouti has called the statements from Mr. Booreh against the President
of Djibouti as null and void, baseless and fabricated.

"According to the statement released by the Ministry of finance the
gentleman was unable to clear tax debts he owned the Ministry of
finance" said Buuh the internal Minister.

The Minister has also added that Djibouti has effective functioning
impartial judiciary system and there is no need of submitting
accusations to other foreign country while the gentleman is a Djiboutian
native.

Mohammed Omar Hussein+2521-5519235 shiinetown@hotmail.com

Somaliweyn Media Center

http://www.somaliweyn.org/pages/news/Mar_10/19Mar16.html