[dehai-news] Washington DC Demonstration Impressions

From: meskerem mehary (mmehary@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 26 2010 - 11:47:02 EST

On Monday, February 22nd 2010, thousands of Eritreans arrived in Washington
D.C. in time for the demonstration against the sanctions which were imposed
on the Eritrean Government in December 2009. The United States and The UNSC
have used these sanctions in a disguise as targeting the Eritrean government
when in actuality it was an attack on the Eritrean people who have been
working so hard to maintain the sovereignty and true independence of Eritrea
from external interference.

Some arrived in the early hours of the morning travelling by bus all night
to make it to the demonstration which was planned to start at 10am Monday
morning. One hour prior, YPFDJ members from all chapters made their way to
the White House, by car, on foot, by bus or taxi to help prepare for the
mass of people that were expected to attend. While unloading a truck full of
supplies, signs, horns, flags and banners, Eritrean people began pouring
into the meeting area from all sides of the White House. It was a colorful
sight to see as people were garnished in the colors of the Eritrean flag or
simply wearing a flag around them.

As the crowd grew, so did the energy of all the participants, women were
already dancing and singing in joy of our unity as a people. Long time
friends, comrades, and relatives were greeting one another in happiness to
be brought together again in defense of their beloved, Eritrea.

Our peaceful march began with the youth leading all the participants for
they are the leaders of tomorrow. We marched, we chanted, we sang, and we
shouted from the White House through the streets of Washington D.C. to the
State Department. It was a daylong event. Walking through the crowds you
could notice Eritrean people of all ages. There were young children waving
their flags, elderly men and women keeping up with the crowd and even
priests. It was inspiring to see people of all ages missing work and school
to be there on that day.

It was no shock to see this many Eritrean people come together, that is what
being Eritrean entails, defending what you believe in and fighting for what
is right. What some people found impressive however were the Ethiopian flags
waving along side the Eritrean flags. The Eritrean way of promoting peace in
the Horn of Africa is understood by our neighbors and eventually, the rest
of the world will understand. Representatives from the Ethiopian community
accompanied Eritreans in our peaceful demonstration in support of our cause
for peace and justice in the Horn of Africa.

At the end of the demonstration, everyone collectively chanted against the
sanctions and expressed the need for positive US engagement in Eritrea.
Representatives from the Ethiopian community, Oromo community as well as the
Ogaden community expressed their pride in Eritrean people for coming
together and taking a stance against injustice and a step towards peace. A
few statements from representatives in the Eritrean community as well as a
young eight-year-old boy named Dawit, whose words brought tears to many
people and gave me chills! His message was to President Barack Obama
explaining how inspired he once was by the change he promised to bring, and
how his hopes were shattered on December 23rd 2009 when Resolution 1907 was
passed. Eritrean individuals everywhere inspired one another on that day
through their strong expressions of pride, and Dawit is one young man who
has inspired thousands around the world who were watching on EriTV.

The events of Monday concluded by handing over 107,000 signatures in
petition to the Sanctions to a representative from the State Department. As
the rain began to fall, thousands of people danced together one last time
before we all went our separate ways. The demonstration concluded, but our
fight for Eritrea is never over.

Awet N’Hafash!

Meskerem Mehary

YPFDJ BOSTON