[dehai-news] Sudanvisiondaily.com: Interview: There is no legal justification for the sanctions against Eritrea, (3-4) Says President Isaias Afwerki

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Wed Feb 24 2010 - 10:37:28 EST

Interview: There is no legal justification for the sanctions against
Eritrea, (3-4) Says President Isaias Afwerki

How can Africa recommend sanctions against one member-nation without any
evidences or even justification for that action?

Interview by: Editor-in-Chief, Saif Adein Al-Bashir

24/02/2010

Less than two months after UNSC has issued resolution No: 1907, which
imposed new sanctions against Eritrea, The East African nation celebrated
the Fenkil Operation, which is considered by the Eritrean people as one
of the historic victories in the 30 year-long struggle for their
independence.
While attending the occasion in Masawa Editor-in-Chief conducted an
exceptional interview with The Eritrean President Isaias Afwerki.

Q: To what extent do you count on the people continent-wide as well as with
coordination with friendly nations like Sudan for example.

A: It is counter-productive to the United States. It has consolidated our
moral standing. Not because of our efforts, not because of our doing. People
are saying even those who are not aware about the dynamics of how this
revolution came, start asking very simple questions. Why these sanctions?
And that has led to more of awareness and people are saying this is not
just. How can you possibly impose sanctions on one nation that is innocent
that has not done anything. You have not provided any evidences, you have no
justifications for taking these actions be it legal or even on political
grounds. That is not there and this has raised the awareness of many
everywhere even within the Security Council people may not tell it very loud
but everybody, the French, the Russians, the Chinese and our non-permanent
members ask very simple question. They are not even provided with persuasive
answers, and they are saying, this is not just. Many and quietly are saying
we were forced to condone or conform. No convincing suggestion was made on
the part of the United States. All these have precipitated into a general
understanding and everybody will tell you 'this is not just' 'this is not
fair', 'this is not based on reason' 'this is not based on good rationale'.
That has continued to build up and people are saying these sanctions are not
valid even to the extent of people saying well, Sudan has supported this
idea since IGAD may be some representatives from the Sudanese Government
have been quiet about this because of very tactical considerations they did
want to provoke the position of the United States by saying no and some have
their own justifications but to come to reality, the message for Sudan and
other African countries conforming or endorsing this idea is a very
dangerous precedence, very dangerous precedence because it will affect their
own realities, it will undermine their defence. Who in Africa can accept
this as a justifiable decision? No one at all and I think it has
strengthened the moral ground for Eritrea and it has also become an
ammunition for many to question the validity of US policy in the horn of
Africa. And now people are trying to see or understand this has come as a
result of the failure of the United States to change the reality in the horn
of Africa. It may take some time until it builds up and consolidate but it
is very clear that the indicators now are everybody is saying this has to be
abandoned. They have to revoke this decision. I think it will take some time
and it is not a question of depending on relying or support here and there.
It takes time, until people realize the implications of such a decision and
I say it has come as a blessing for many Africans to ask very simple
question how their regional organizations are functioning? How they are
dealing with many domestic and regional issues. You can talk about Nigeria,
you can talk about Kenya, you can talk about Zimbabwe, you can talk about
Sudan, you can talk about any country where no people are saying we need our
own solutions and to have our own solutions we need to have viable
organizations the African Union or other sub-regional organizations.

Q: What steps that Eritrea could take to counter this resolution?

A: May be from outside it may look new but these sanctions have been there
imposed upon Eritrea by the United States for the last twelve years almost
since the instigation of the border conflict with Ethiopia. We have not been
allowed to buy arms, we have not been able to get spare parts for our air
force, for our ground forces under so many pretext. We have never been
interested in building up an army but we have the legitimate right for
self-defence. In spite of our legitimate rights we were deprived of even
getting weapons for self-defence. It was not only yesterday, it was two to
three years, it was more than ten years now. How can you justify that? They
will come and tell you that this engine is made by Roll-Royce and the
company is not willing to sell. We are not interested in this and that.
Obligations were even violated to deprive us of the right to self-defence.
So what is new? The World Bank has deprived us our legitimate right to have
access to credits, financial and economic support. And this has been brought
by the United States all along. The political intervention under different
names human rights, religious rights and this and that has been all along
going on without a declared sanctions. Without knowing it we have developed
an immunity because of this vast experience and yesterday you might have
seen a number of things but I don't think it is something new. It has been
building up for more than ten years. Now, do we need weapons? Why can't you
impose sanctions if you believe Iran is a threat to regional security? Why
can't you impose arms embargo on Iran? Iran is buying the most
sophisticated weapons from Russia, China Belu-Russia and other parts of the
world? Why do you have to impose sanctions and arms embargo on a very small
nation when it is in a position when its sovereign territory is occupied? It
is so many things one can raise but again I think it is not on the impact
and it is more than that damage that it can do. The damage has been done
there is nothing new that can come up in all these. It is very unfortunate
that this happened but again I can say given this global appreciation of the
injustices done we are now in a better position to get the support from
anywhere so it has become counter-productive in so many ways and it has
provoked a reaction not only on the part of Eritrea on the part of many who
see the logic behind this decision. I think it is not only new but again it
has created its own momentum where sympathy for Eritrea is going on within
the region and outside the region.

Q: In 1994, I remember you refused to join those leaders when former
President Bill Clinton visited the region. Is there any link to these
stained political relations with US?

A: It is not a matter rejecting or not rejecting. It is only me and not
personal. Can any anyone any human being allow himself to be instrumental to
somebody else agenda? It is dehumanizing and above everything else it does a
lot of damage if any leader or head of government does not respect his own
people he does not even defend his own nation and serves the outside force
what does that mean to anyone? It is not unnatural to establish
diplomatic ties or have cooperation programmes with anybody United States
with China and whatever that is not a problem. But to be an instrument for
promoting an agenda of an outside force and sometimes at the expense or
interest of your own, your people's interest, your nation's interest it is
not only shameful but the damage is irreparable and we see that happening
everywhere. It is part of their agenda. They will praise you, you will be a
nice guy, good boy and you will be sitting there and even when you are doing
the wrong things they will tell you, you are the right person for doing the
wrong things the right way. If you do not agree you will be demonized, you
are this and that. I don't think it is a surprise. One of the problems in
the region and outside the region is leaders are prepared to sell
themselves. Here in this country no one is for sale