[dehai-news] (Gulf Times) Deal has ‘US and French consent’

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Wed Feb 24 2010 - 09:58:34 EST

*
http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=344945&version=1&template_id=36&parent_id=16
*
*Deal has ‘US and French consent’
Publish Date: Wednesday,24 February, 2010, at 01:23 AM Doha Time*
**
**
*By Nour Abuzant*

HH the Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani yesterday said that France and
the United States were following the developments regarding the framework
accord of the Darfur ceasefire and that without their consent, reaching an
agreement was difficult.
The Emir was speaking at a press conference held after the official signing
ceremony.
He said: “After all, we are talking about a framework agreement and I am
sure that we would see the final agreement in Darfur.
“The Sudanese factions reached the accord because it was their problem. I
hope that other factions would join it soon and commit themselves to help
all the parties.”

The Emir said that it was hard to say that there were guarantees that the
countries would keep their promises for payment but “I can assure all of you
that Qatar would fulfil its promises.”
The Arab countries should be the first to lend a helping hand to the Darfur
people towards development and prosperity, he said.
Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir said that the people of Darfur were “fed
up” with war and that made the factions committed to the Doha deal.

He said that the constructive and positive media played a key role in
reaching the agreement.
President Bashir said that the details of the elections and the governance
would come later.
In case of lack of clarity in the text, there are mechanisms for that.

“We are arranging a comprehensive list of voters so that we can ensure
greater participation in the elections.”
Eritrean President Isaias Afwerki said that reaching a final and lasting
agreement was “simply impossible” without starting with a document, proposed
by the parties, “as base of negotiations.”

* Text of Darfur peace agreement*

The Sudanese government and the rebel Justice and Equality Movement (JEM)
yesterday signed an agreement in Doha for an end to their conflict in
Darfur.
Here is a summary of the text from the framework accord that was first inked
on Saturday in the Chadian capital:
The Sudanese government and the JEM agree the following:
Article 1: They proclaim a ceasefire and launch immediate discussions to
reach an accord on its supervision.
Article 2: The release of prisoners of war detained as a result of the
Darfur conflict, whether or not convicted, as soon as the agreement is
signed and a general amnesty for JEM civilian and military members.
Article 3: The participation of JEM at all levels of power (executive and
legislative) according to mechanisms to be agreed upon later by the two
sides.
Article 4: JEM becomes a political party as soon as the final agreement is
signed.
Article 5: Integration of JEM forces into the armed forces, security and
police.
Article 6: The government of Sudan will take charge of the necessary
spending to maintain JEM forces during the training period.
Article 7: All civilian and military members of JEM will be rehabilitated.
Article 8: The government of Sudan will fairly compensate refugees, the
displaced and all victims of the Darfur conflict and guarantee their
voluntary return.
Article 9: The administrative restructuring of Darfur will be negotiated
within the framework of the final peace accord.
Article 10: The sharing of resources, land and tribal herding rights as well
as any issue deemed necessary by the two parties to finalise the clauses of
the agreement.
Article 11: The implementation of this agreement will be based on goodwill
partnership and political solidarity.
Article 12: The final agreement and additional protocols for its
implementation will be elaborated and signed before March 15, 2010.