[dehai-news] (GulfNews) Agreement to end Darfur conflict hailed

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Wed Feb 24 2010 - 09:27:53 EST

http://gulfnews.com/news/region/sudan/agreement-to-end-darfur-conflict-hailed-1.587866
Agreement
to end Darfur conflict hailed

Ceasefire agreement between government and rebel group cements end of war in
Darfur

   - By Rania Al Hussaini, Special to Gulf News
   - Published: 10:00 February 24, 2010

Doha: Cementing the end of war in Darfur, a final framework and ceasefire
agreement between the Sudanese government and armed rebel group Justice and
Equality Movement (JEM) was signed late on Tuesday in Doha, despite other
rebel groups having refused to enter talks and join negotiations.

The agreement was signed in the presence of the Emir of Qatar Shaikh Hamad
Bin Khalifa Al Thani, Sudanese President Omar Al Bashir and the Chadian
President Idris Deby and President Isaias Afwerki of Eritrea, among other
officials.

During the ceremony, Khalil Ebrahim, leader of the JEM, announced an
immediate ceasefire.

The Emir of Qatar, Shaikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al Thani, announced his support
to Sudan to help reach a permanent and comprehensive solution to the
conflict and to rebuild and develop the country and its economy, by
establishing a development bank in Sudan.

"For years Darfur has been a source of worry between Africans and the Arabs,
this agreement comes today along with the announcing the integration of all
the rebel parties together under one body, under the name of Liberation
Movement and Justice in preparation to enter the current negotiating
process. We call on parties who have not yet joined to join this unified
party and this agreement," said Shaikh Hamad.

"The agreement, which was signed tonight, is built on a certain basis and
will be a stable step to move forward and build a strong economy in Darfur."

Sudan's president thanked Qatar for helping resolve the conflict and thanked
Libya, Syria, Iran, Egypt and Saudi Arabia in their combined efforts to
reach a lasting solution.

"Tonight is a big step in ending the conflict in Darfur… and this agreement
comes with the integration of most of the rebel movements into one body,
which is a positive indication and step," Omar Al Bashir, the Sudanese
President said.

"Now we are facing a big challenge to do our best in building our country
and economically strengthening it… We now have the battle of construction
facing us and we will do our best to direct all our efforts to develop our
country. This agreement is a good start for us and hopefully this will be
the end of all the conflicts," he added.

A positive step

The signing of the agreement was accompanied by a cheerful scene and mood
that continued throughout the ceremony. Also this peace accord means that
the rebel parties will be offered seats in the government in the coming
elections.

However, according to President Bashir, the parties have not entered into
details and other protocols in partnership and sharing powers.

According to Khalil Ebrahim JEM'S leader, "this framework agreement was a
very important step for the country… however, the road to peace still needs
much patience and honest concessions from both sides."

Djibril Bassole, joint AU-UN Chief mediator for Darfur, called all parties
and movements to join peace negotiations to the improve the security
situation in Darfur, establish a calm environment for the elections to take
place in good conditions and to start immediately the negotiation of a
global and final peace accord.