[dehai-news] EXCERPT from MeriH Newsletter: Why Are Our Communities so Divided?

From: merih@youngpfdj.com
Date: Wed Feb 24 2010 - 08:53:13 EST

Why Are Our Communities so Divided?
by Niyat Tesfazgi YPFDJ Jacksonville & Fenan Russom YPFDJ Dallas

1958, 1960, 1972, 1991... These are the years that truly depict the
unification of the Eritrean people, the years where the weak became
strong, families were torn, homes broken, and the youth forced to take on
the heroic role. These are the years that portray the struggle for
independence in Eritrea, ignited by the youth who stood up and took action
to fight for freedom. These are the years that we all should reflect on
and learn from. Every brave soul who sacrificed and risked their life for
the existence of others is one author in one volume. When one martyr dies
a chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better
language, a language of unity, prosperity, and responsibility that was
left for us in order to continue the Eritrean legacy. Just as a school
bell rings not only to call upon the teacher, but upon the students as
well: the bell that rings now is calling us all. However, we don’t seem to
hear the ringing of the bell. Could it be because we are distracted by the
mere inability to understand one another? Has our lack of communication
led us to the path of destruction?

There is more than a verbal tie between the words common, community, and
communication. These are some of the things that have shown to be the
importance of maintaining a strong united community. If anyone knows the
importance of a united people, it is Eritreans, as it is only through
unity that we were able to achieve independence. In a country of so much
diversity, both ethnically and religiously, everyone came together for one
goal. But as time has passed, people have somehow lost sight of the goal
and sacrifices our martyrs made. People have forgotten what we all once
had in common. Now, division rather than unity seems to be at the heart of
the Eritrean communities throughout the States. Why have we lost focus?

The heart of our problem and reasoning for our division is a lack of
communication. Everywhere we go today, we see division in our churches,
communities, families, and more. But the question of why is never
thoroughly delved into. Rather than try to work together or at least
discuss why there are so many conflicting opinions, people take the easy
way out and simply split. Why can't we effectively communicate without
resorting to fighting and division?

The enormous misunderstanding of our time is the assumption that insight
will work with people who are unmotivated to change. We need to understand
that communication is not dependent on only grammar, eloquence, or
articulation but on the emotional context in which the message is being
heard. People can only hear you when they are moving toward you, and they
are not likely to when your words are pursuing them. Even the choice of
words lose their strength when they are used to overpower. Sometimes our
attitudes are the real figures of speech. There is a huge gap in the way
we communicate from the way our parents communicate. We need to understand
that our words should be used as tools of communication and not as a
substitute for action.

No one can deny that the cost of freedom is high, and Eritreans have paid
it in full price. How did they do it? They were outnumbered, outsourced,
and out spoken, yet they were stronger. Their strength and victory came
through continuous effort and struggle. Unity and communication were our
triumph. From Sahel to Ketma to Keren, Eritreans used the little they had
to communicate, even with soldiers at every block, constant surprise
invasion of homes, and continuous brutalization of terror, they were still
able to communicate. Through letters, hidden messages, and secret codes;
they were able to understand the task at hand and accomplish the goal. Yet
today, as Eritreans in the Diaspora, in an environment where there are far
less barriers, we have let division prevail. We must remember that it was
through unity whence came our independence, our freedom, our ability to
express our thoughts without fearing for our lives. Through unity came
what we all call home, the beautiful Eritrea.

Our history should be our guide to navigating in perilous times. It is who
we are and why we are the way we are. In every conceivable manner, our
success to maintaining and building a strong self reliant country is a
link to our past, a bridge to our future.

CLICK HERE TO READ ALL OF MERIH NEWSLETTER:
http://www.youngpfdj.org/index.php/publications/news-letter/doc_view/29-merih-issue-ii?tmpl=component&format=raw

-MeriH Newsletter Team