[dehai-news] (AFP): Somalia's Shebab vow all-out war against government

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Sat Feb 13 2010 - 06:01:02 EST

Somalia's Shebab vow all-out war against government

By Mustafa Haji Abdinur (AFP)

13/02/2010

MOGADISHU - Somalia's Islamist rebels vowed all-out war and rallied support
after weekly prayers Friday to meet a nationwide offensive planned by the
conflict-wracked country's shaky government against insurgent groups.

Fighting which has rocked the capital almost daily for months broke out
again, leaving five civilians dead and 20 wounded in an exchange of fire
between members of the Al-Qaeda-linked Shebab movement and government
troops, officials said.

As thousands of residents have streamed out of the capital in recent days,
rebel fighters have poured in to face newly-trained government forces backed
by African Union troops ahead of the battle.

At the Nasreddin mosque in southern Mogadishu, Sheikh Muktar Robow Abu
Mansur, a top military leader with the Shebab, said his movement was ready
to face an onslaught by the Western-backed government.

"You are aware of the recent indiscriminate shelling of the enemy against
our people. This war is a religious obligation for all of us to go and fight
them," Robow told the crowd after prayers.

"The soldiers of Allah are now fully prepared to launch attacks to eliminate
the enemy from the country," he said.

The Shebab control around 80 percent of southern and central Somalia, and
since his election a year ago President Sharif Sheikh Ahmed and his
administration have been pinned down in a small area of the capital.

"Our promise is to engage in all-out war against them. Are you going to be
with us?," he shouted, rousing the crowd of faithful who roared back with a
resounding "Yes".

Robow, whose group last month officially declared it was a component of
Al-Qaeda's global network, told his audience their struggle was not simply
to remove Sharif from power.

"All the mujahedeen in the country are ready to unite for this battle. This
war does not only concern our country but the holy warriors will also assist
our brothers fighting in Yemen, Afghanistan and Chechnya," he said.

Hundreds of people in the city of Baidoa, west of Mogadishu, also gathered
after prayers in the stadium, chanting "Allahu Akbar" (God is great) and
listening to speeches urging war against the government and its allies.

"Today we are here to show our determination in the current situation. The
enemies of Allah have allied to fight but we are also united against them,"
Shebab official Sheikh Ibrahim Ali told AFP.

In Elashabiyaha, a village overflowing with displaced people near Mogadishu,
Sheikh Hassan Dahir Aweys, whose Hezb al-Islam movement is allied to the
Shebab, also held a rally.

While the guessing game continued on the date of the great offensive's
launch, tension mounted in Mogadishu as combatants on both sides took up
their positions and the city centre continued to bleed its civilian
population.

"The Shebab militants and their allies fired on our forces near Florenza, in
Bondhere district, and in the Shibis area this morning," Colonel Mohamed
Ali, a senior government security officer, said.

"It was a kind of provocation but our forces defended their positions,
responding with heavy machine-guns and anti-aircraft weapons," he said,
adding that two of his men were wounded.

Ali Muse, the head of Mogadishu's ambulance services said the government
troops' retaliatory fire killed civilians in residential areas.

"The crossfire and stray mortars hit civilian-populated areas in northern
Mogadishu and our ambulance teams have collected five bodies and 20 other
injured civilians," Muse told AFP.

In Geneva, Melissa Fleming of the UN refugee agency said, "Since the
beginning of February, over 8,000 people have left the city to escape the
fighting that is said to be raging in several areas."

"We are stepping up our preparedness to intervene and deliver emergency
relief to the affected population as soon as the security situation
permits," she said, but added, "As with other humanitarian actors, our own
access is affected by the conflict."

President Sharif, a young Islamist cleric who fought the Ethiopian invasion,
was described by Washington and others as Somalia's best hope for peace in
years when he was elected a year ago.

But he failed to bring hardline Islamists back into the fold, and
international military and financial support was initially sluggish.

Observers say the offensive, likely to be the largest military operation in
Somalia in three years, is a make or break endeavour for Sharif's
administration, which has been unable to assert its authority on the
country.