[dehai-news] Shabait.com: "A Land Of Promise Never Kneels Down"

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Wed Feb 10 2010 - 07:14:25 EST

"A Land Of Promise Never Kneels Down"

Written by Sirak Habtemichael |

10/02/2010

http://www.shabait.com/images/stories/000al-amin-qa.jpgAfter a considerable
time of illness and intensive health follow-up, Secretary of the PFDJ, Mr.
Al-Amin Mohammed-Seid has been able to resume his regular activities. On the
occasion of the 20th Anniversary of the Fenkil Operation, Mr. Al-Amin
conducted an interview with shabait. Excerpts follow:

Q: Let me start by saying that we are all happy to see that you have fully
recovered. What message would you like to convey to the Eritrean people who
have been waiting for your recovery?

I personally consider this occasion as a new chapter in my life. As a member
of the Eritrean people who are always true to their promises, I am ready to
carryout my duties. I would also like to extend my appreciation to all the
people who were concerned about my health and I feel privileged to tell them
that their worries have come to an end. As a matter of fact, the absence of
a single individual would not hamper the march of progress because the
entire Eritrean population is true to its pledge. When we say we have a
wealthy country, our primary asset is the inherent patriotism inside every
single national. The main reason the EPLF came out victorious is because of
the presence of such precious values. To further articulate my statement, I
was not really worried about work during my times of illness because I have
a strong belief in my fellow comrades. Whatever I left behind during my
illness was indeed in safe hands. In the culture and history of the EPLF, it
is not single individuals that work miracles but the general public as a
whole.

Q: Coming back to matters at hand, what is the ultimate objective behind the
recent sanctions imposed by US against Eritrea?

http://www.shabait.com/images/stories/000al-amin-qa2.jpgThe reason why
people stab you from behind is because you are ahead of them. The weak does
not have an opponent, the strong on the other hand faces a number of
oppositions and obstacles. Eritreans did not become masters of their own
destiny thanks to the graciousness of others; it is our history of bravery
and fortitude that brought us here, and above all, we are owners of our own
plans and programs. For a number of reasons, one of the countries that
couldn't accept this fact is the United States. The US seeks to ensure
control of the Horn of Africa and the Red Sea region along with countries
that serve as its agents in the area. Controlling the Middle East and
exploiting the resources in the area is also among its long-standing
agendas. We are resolutely against this agenda and thus it is only natural
that the US continues to antagonize Eritrea. The fact that this sanction was
imposed recently doesn't mean it never existed as an idea before. Besides,
the UN Security Council was just used for packaging but the architect behind
it is the United States. Furthermore, the nonsensical so called 'facts'
presented as a reason for the sanction are unsubstantiated; the true motive
was the United States' gluttony. So it shouldn't be a surprise; it is just
another episode of the US Administration's persistent antagonism that began
in 1940s. The 1950s oppressions together with the Haileselassie regime and
again the military assistance it extended to the communist Derg regime in
1970s to subdue the Eritrean revolution are some of the examples. Even after
independence in 1991, the United States refrained from recognizing our
self-determination. It was only after the 1993 referendum that the US was
compelled to accept Eritrea as an independent nation. Again, this was just
because it had sought to gain another agent in the region. Failing to subdue
and subject Eritrea, the US Administration waged war against the country
through the TPLF regime under the pretext of a border dispute. Yet again,
this was a failure. Hence, what has been now imposed as sanction over
Eritrea is another desperate attempt to subjugate the Eritrean people.
Washington's attempt to lure in the Eritrean revolution in name of 'peace
talks' in the late 1980s and early 1990s was also a conspiracy against the
Eritrean people. The recent sanctions resolution is therefore the very same
tone in different words and time. Once again history will bear witness to
the fact that Eritreans will prevail, just as they have always done.

Q: Can we overcome this challenge or even turn it to our benefit?

Without a doubt we can, because we as a people never submit to any challenge
we face. Our unity, which has always been our weapon and armor, is still
intact. But of course we need to work together to change the challenges we
face to our advantage. These are the times we need to reinforce our
endeavors for a united stand. If we all stand and put extra efforts, there
is no doubt that we can overcome the temporary obstacles and turn them to
our own benefit. Yet again there is one point I need to underline; even
though we know that the sanction is based on unsubstantiated allegations, we
need not to relax thinking that it will be revoked soon. The best approach
is to strengthen our unity and resilience.

Q: Our political stance in the case of Somalia was cited among the reasons
for the imposed sanction. What are your views on this?

The issue of Somalia is of no concern to the United States; they don't care
whether there is peace in that country or not. On the contrary, chaos and
unrest in Somalia is their dream. More than any other country, Eritrea
wishes for peace and stability in Somalia. Hence, Eritrea has always strived
to see that the Somali issue is resolved by the Somalis themselves. The US
used our policies as regards the Somali case to impose the sanctions. Had we
not lived in a world where justice is swayed by superpowers, it is the US
that should have been sanctioned. If the US were to refrain from meddling in
the affairs of other countries, the world would be able to experience peace.

Q: Any messages on the occasion of Fenkil Celebrations?

I carry lots of memories in connection with the Fenkil Operation. I remember
with pride the times of heroism and unparalleled miracles. Fenkil operation
did not only demonstrate Eritrean heroism but also redirected the historical
track of the Horn of Africa. For that reason, I congratulate the Eritreans
who stood there in particular and the entire Eritrean population in general.

Thank you !

image001.jpg
image003.jpg
image004.jpg