[dehai-news] Shabait.com: "A Different Reality"

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Wed Feb 03 2010 - 13:26:47 EST

"A Different Reality"

Written by Winta Weldeyesus |

03/02/2010

http://www.shabait.com/images/stories/mohamed.jpgThanks to distorted images
and information spread through the western media, some foreigners have an
image of Eritrea as a barren land and war wrecked country, where every
citizen lives in starvation and destitution. But the reality could be more
different. Ethiopian-Belgian writer, Mohamed Hassan came to Eritrea with an
image of a barren land in his head but was quite astonished to find out that
the reality was in fact quite different from the commonly held perceptions.
Shabait conducted an interview with Mr. Mohammed regarding his impressions
during his visit. Excerpts follow:
Q: Let us first start with your background?

A: I was born and grew up in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Now I live in Belgium,
and work as a writer, and I am a member of the Labor Party of Belgium. I
head a leading magazine in the country-Etude Marxist or Marxist Studies-,
which is published every two months, and covers various issues on women,
workers, environment and others. I also write as a contributor in the weekly
Belgian magazine, Solidaire. Moreover, I had published a book about Belgian
nationality, Islamic origins, and another book about the recent US invasion
of Iraq.

Q: As this is your first visit to Eritrea, what were your expectations about
the country and what did you find when you actually saw the country?

A: Since I was born and grew up in Ethiopia, I have always known about
Eritrea. My expectations about the country were like that of many other
first-time visitors, which is that Eritrea is a burden to Ethiopia and
Ethiopia has to feed Eritrea. There is no greenery or agriculture in
Eritrea, the government in the country is oppressing the people and there is
no democracy in the country and all this was due to the propaganda that was
inculcated in us Ethiopians starting from an early age. When I came to
Eritrea what I witnessed was quiet the contrary, it is a small country
inhabited by good people, who have fought for their independence for thirty
years and are recovering and rebuilding what was left of the war. The cities
are clean, the roads and transportation services are remarkable and the
general condition of the population in comparison with other African
countries is much better in terms of health services, education and potable
water supply and other basic services. Despite being a multi-cultural
community, the Eritrean people are quite in tune with each other. Even the
young people are multi-lingual. The harmony among the Eritrean people is
evident even in the children playing in groups.

But what really impressed me about the Eritrean people is that no one seems
to hold any grudge against Ethiopia despite the troubled history between
both countries. I thought that after the 1998-2000 war and the continued
propaganda by the TPLF regime, Eritreans would harbor some animosity but I
was wrong. As I went about my daily activities I used Amharic language and
no one seemed to be bothered about it. And whether you are Ethiopian,
Japanese or be any stranger the people will treat you well.

Q: How would you describe Eritrea's development achievements in the past 18
years as compared to other African countries?

A: The EPLF had clear political, economic and social programs and strategies
starting from the times of the armed struggle period. Following
independence, Eritrea pursued a policy of self-reliance, which enabled it to
realize many of the development programs. Compared to many African countries
Eritrea has a rich and resourceful community while many African countries
have a rich country with a very poor population. And this is mainly due to
irresponsible and corrupt leadership in many African countries.

Q: What is your opinion about Eritrea's media and its role in creating
awareness among the people of the Horn?

A: For several reasons the people of the Horn of Africa share similar
culture, tradition and beliefs and since the media in the other countries in
the region do not represent the truth to their population, I would say the
Eritrea media can play a great role in creating awareness owing the
diversity of the languages it employs in disseminating information.

Q: You recently interviewed H.E, President Isaias Afwerki. Tell us about
your personal impression?

A: Though I met the President 20 years ago, in 1982, in Brussels but did not
get to know him well. When I spoke with him this time I found him to be a
direct and honest man. I was impressed to find out that he lives like any
ordinary citizen and walks around the city without many guards. As I talked
with him I felt our conversation was like a discussion between comrades and
not an interview with a head of state. In many countries, even in those that
claim to be democratic, to have an interview with the President, the
questions should be submitted to Information Minister before weeks and
definitely some have to be omitted. I found nothing like that here.

Q: In your interview with the President you said "As an Ethiopian and
African, when I see what Eritrea has achieved in the past 18 years, I really
get jealous," what did you mean by that?

A: I would like my country, Ethiopia, to have the kind of peace and
stability Eritrea is enjoying now. African in general and Ethiopia in
particular is rich in natural resources but its people are poor, so I would
naturally be jealous of a young nation that can provide education, potable
water, health services and transportation to its entire population. And if
there had been a good leadership that provides those things to the
population why would I even want to live in diaspora? I am on a
self-imposed exile due to the leadership in the country.

Q: Any messages you would like to convey?

A: Eritrea is a very nice country and I would say anyone who is interested
should see for himself before dismissing it as a war-torn and barren land as
propagated by propaganda media. And to Eritreans all over the world, I would
like to tell them to return to their country and contribute their part in
rebuilding their country.

image001.jpg
image002.jpg