[dehai-news] (EG) ETHIOPIA: EPPF aspires to harmonize relations between Ethiopians and Eritreans

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Thu Jan 28 2010 - 20:07:33 EST

ETHIOPIA: EPPF aspires to harmonize relations between Ethiopians and
Eritreans

By Tamiru Geda

Posted by Webmaster on Wednesday 27 January 2010 - 11:03:54

London: The UK chapter of the Ethiopian People's Patriotic Front (EPPF)
has taken an initiative to harmonize relations between Ethiopians and
Eritreans. The front underscored that solidarity is the only way out of
the current crises in the Horn of Africa sub-region.

At a public meeting held on Sunday, 24 January 2010 in London, several
issues were raised such as the prevailing political and economic
situation, election 2010 in Ethiopia, progress within EPPF, Ethiopians
and Eritreans in the UK as well as solidarity and cooperation and
future prospects were the main agenda of the day. The issue of
solidarity and cooperation was hotly debated among participants.
Ato Wondimu Mekonnen , renowned Ethiopian activist and known critic of
the ruling party in Ethiopia said that Eritreans were responsible
for carrying the TPLF on their shoulders and enabling it to take power
in Addis. "You Eritreans, our brothers and sisters, are responsible
for injecting Ethiopia with a poison called Weayne," Wondimu said.

Following his remarks another participant named Mrs Sabira Mohamd ,
naturalized Ethiopian, said the re-unification of Ethiopia and
Eritrean was vital in the region in terms of creating enduring peace
and stability as well as harmony between the two people. Another
Ethiopian also echoed her view and claimed that for him Ethiopia
meant the geographic entity that includes Eritrea as part of the
mainland of Ethiopia. Such and similar comments were made during the
meeting and some Eritreans , who were among the invited guests,
forcefully responded to the comments.

One Eritrean participant who was born in Ethiopia said that the reason
why he and other Eritreans joined the armed struggle was due to the
then prevailing social injustice in Ethiopia. "I personally have no
interest for destabilizing Ethiopia," he said.

"When TPLF seized state power, it dramatically changed its previous
behavior that caused the existing problem in Ethiopia and the
region. Our division helps the TPLF," he noted. "We support the EPPF's
program because we found that it is a multi-national party, that aims
to hand over power to the people. It is also the first Ethiopian party
that enables to up such a forum between Ethiopians and Eritreans."

He went on to say that we should learn from the history of Europeans,
who once fought each other but now formed the European Union that is
harmonizing common economic, political and social interests. "We are
now benefitting from their strong economy as refuges. First let us fight
for peace and stability and let us also hold dialogues among each
other," he said.

According to Sileshi Tilahun, Head of International Public Relations
for EPPF such moves should be driven toward maintaining the long and
historical ties between the two people. Sileshi underlined that the
sprit of the forum was to generate solidarity and to move forward. "We
should stop for a moment and see how the TPLF has been enjoying our
division."

At the public meeting, officials from the Ogaden National Liberation
Front (ONLF) and the Sidama Libration Front, Eritreans and other
friends addressed the gathering .The next public meeting is expected to
be held in Washington DC. in the near future.

http://www.ethioguardian.com/news.php?extend.3511