[dehai-news] Youtube.com: Fly Away Children - Ethiopia

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Tue Jan 19 2010 - 17:35:30 EST

Fly Away Children - Ethiopia

19.01.2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQoqih4iTss
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQoqih4iTss&feature=player_embedded>
&feature=player_embedded

December 2009

Angelina Jolie may have fuelled a boom in families wanting an Ethiopian
child. Yet thanks to opportunistic adoption agents and zero regulations,
most African adoptions dont have a Hollywood ending.
This is Tegene, hes a little abandoned child, says the presenter on
Christian World Adoptions DVD catalogue of orphans. On the other side of the
world, Lisa Boe fell in love. She adopted Tegene who one day identified his
real mom in a photograph. I would have never brought home a child that had a
mom, never, she cries. Children have become Ethiopias latest export. A lack
of regulation and the $100 million annual revenue, has resulted in a
completely corrupt adoption industry. Harvesting, an illegal process in
which children are actively sought from their parents, is commonplace. The
parents dont understand that the children are now legally someone elses,
explains a former worker at CWA. Most agencies tell the parents theyll
receive regular updates on their children. Yet mothers of children like
Tegene, say they have heard nothing for years As a mother, not to be able to
know my kids situation hurts me so much. In small-town USA, Lisa Boe gives
Tegene, now Zane, his daily medications. Hes going blind in one eye, has
cerebral palsy and a cyst on his brain. The Christian adoption agency gave
Tegene a perfect bill of health.

Produced by ABC, distributed by Journeyman Pictures