[dehai-news] UN Sanction on Eritrea, A Theological Perspective

From: Orion Asmelash (orrionn44@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 09 2010 - 00:46:49 EST

UN Sanction on Eritrea: A Theological Perspective

By Orion Asmelash

They sow the wind and reap the whirlwind (Hosea 8:7)

I am a person who spent most of his life studying Religion and Theology. This means I do not consider myself political. However, as an Eritrean citizen, I feel it is my God given duty to say enough to this unjust and allegedly concocted accusation against Eritrea. To remain silent under such circumstance is to side with the unjust. The UN injustice that has met the peace loving people of Eritrea is beyond comprehension. The feeling I am going to share is not from a political angle, but rather from a theological perspective.

David the Psalmist once prayed the following against injustice: (Psalm 64)

"Hear me, O God, as I voice my complaint; protect my life from the threat of the enemy. Hide me from the conspiracy of the wicked, from that noisy crowd of evildoers. They sharpen their tongues like swords, and aim their words like deadly arrows. They shoot from ambush at the innocent."
"They encourage each other in evil plans, they talk about hiding their snares; and they say, ‘Who will see them?' They plot injustice and say, ‘We have devised a perfect plan.'
"However, God will shoot them with arrows; suddenly they will be struck down. He will turn their own tongues against them and bring them to ruin; all who see them will shake their heads in scorn."
For me, the U.S. and UK conceived UN Security Council Resolution 1907/2009 that was midwifed by Uganda on December 23, 2009, is designed to intimidate Eritrea on unfounded, spurious, irresponsible and fabricated accusations is not only shameful, but a despicable political ploy that exposes vividly what the Holy Book says "the mystery of inequity." An inequity instigated by the power that has been ruling the world for centuries. It is legitimate then to look at the nature and function of this power not only from a political point of view, but also from a theological one.

>From a theological point of view, Judgment belongs to God and whosoever is chairing the verdict does it on behalf of God, the Almighty. That is why the Holy Scripture says "Consider carefully what you do, because you are not judging for man but for the LORD……. Now let the fear of the LORD be upon you. Judge carefully, for with the LORD our God there is no injustice or partiality or bribery." (2 chronicle 19:6-7). But for those who distort facts and fabricate lies, including their corrupt witnesses who mock at justice, the Holy Book warns them that there will come a time, "For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil." (Ecclesiastes 12:14). Thus, "Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter" (Isaiah 5:20). The God of justice will avenge the poor and the oppressed and will "punish the world for its evil, the wicked for their sins". He also says "I will put an end to the arrogance of the haughty and will humble the pride of the ruthless" (Isaiah 13:11) They should know that they might deceive man but not God. Their lies and deceptions are going to catch up with them. As the Prophet Isaiah tells us (Isaiah 1:15-17) instead of learning to do right by seeking justice, encouraging the oppressed, defending the innocent, what we are witnessing is the opposite. God's response is then clear. He will hide his eyes from the US; even if it offers him many prayers, he will not listen. Its "hands are full of blood." It has failed to "wash and make" itself clean. It has refused to take its evil deeds out of the sight of God and it never stops doing wrong, thus God's judgment will be upon it one of these days.

For many of us, the mystery is not hidden; history is a witness, and this is not the first time that Eritrea is facing betrayals by the US. In the 1950s, the US Secretary of State John Foster Dulles boldly attested the very nature and characteristics of the US by saying: "From the point of view of justice, the opinion of the Eritrean people must receive consideration. Nevertheless, the strategic interests of the United States in the Red Sea Basin and world peace make it necessary that the country [Eritrea] be linked with our ally Ethiopia." Susan Rice told us the same thing two weeks ago! Thus, the US has put on inequity as its clothing and injustice as its robe. These are its present nature and character. In terms of the way it operates and rules, the US has been completely different from previous world empires who have ruled the world in the past generations: (Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece, and Rome). People have started to understand the motives, goals and its dominant effect upon world politics, social influence and economic resources, but many failed to realize the foundation, nature, and characteristics of its existence.

>From its inception as an empire, the US worked and acted as an arrogant nation, and now it works by deception, amalgamating truth with lies and hiding a poisonous pill under the cover of peacekeeping missions, humanitarian activities, religious outreach, spread of democracy, defense of the press, and economic integration. It has deceived nations for centuries. It "looks like a lamb" or "looks beautiful on the outside, but on the inside there are dead men's bones and everything unclean" (Matthew 23:27). Many have been deluded by its arrogance. Knowingly or unknowingly, the kings and nations of the earth have taken this poisonous pill and have become partakers of the very characteristics of its nature (Deception). By being partakers, they have been "intoxicated with her wines" (Revelation 17:1-3), until they lost their senses. They have cooperated with her for centuries and have committed injustices against the innocent. Having the same characteristics of an arrogant nation, the US intimidates many nations, regardless of the purity or impurity of their nature. This is done mainly for the selfish motives, evil purposes and the desire to gain power, and control over the world resources. Thus, world domination is its trademark.

It reminds us of the originator of Evil and deception in the Garden of Eden. The serpent has used the same tactics when deceiving Adam and Eve by mingling truth with lies. "The day you eat this fruit, you will be like God". Today, the UNSC and US are playing the game of world domination and are inviting the inhabitants of this earth and the kings of nations by saying, "If you partake with us at the deliberations of the UNSC and take our advice, you will share the treasures of this world with us, and you will prosper like us." The scripture says: "it forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead, so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark of the beast"( Revelation 13:16).

In modern times, sanction is the synonym for "no one could buy or sell unless he has the mark." In other words, we always hear that those who are not supporting its political, social, and economic policies and programs, which are actually and always designed for its own best interests and selfish motives, will be punished. The interests of other nations are considered dangerous and insignificant. Thus, they are subject to sanctions. Hence, Eritrea is being sanctioned because of the failures of others and for choosing its independent position on self-reliance and working to lift its citizens from abject poverty. In short it is being punished because it refused to put "the mark of the beast on its forehead." Eritrea did not create the Somali problem. Ethiopia is the main culprit in this debacle. Its patrons are behind the political turmoil in Somali and the sufferings of the people.

The Holy Scripture tells us about the interplay of two opposing powers, displayed in different forms, metaphors, parables, and stories. Good and Evil; Justice and Injustice; Redemption and destruction; Darkness and light; Righteousness and lawlessness, etc... On the one hand, there is a power that rides the Black Horse and there is another power that rides the White Horse. This adversarial position has been a recurring phenomenon in world history. However, history teaches us that even though it seems immorality has prevailed, justice trodden under men's feet, lawlessness surfing all over us, and the mighty wind shaking us for the moment, Empires will not last forever. There will come a time where good prevails over wickedness, light exposes darkness; righteousness rules over lawlessness, and Justice over the laws of the jungle.

In the final showdown of this unprecedented, tumultuous, and turbulent controversy between good and evil, the power that seems to prevail today will vanish soon. Now darkness is ruling, but soon in a day-light, we will see the nakedness of the UNSC and US, and all those who have cooperated with them.

God will serve justice and deliver fair judgment. Today we have seen them sowing a wind, but tomorrow we will eventually see them reaping the whirlwind of their wickedness.

The sanctions on Eritrea must be reversed and stopped! These sanctions are the signs of wickedness. Eritrea does not deserve to be sanctioned by wicked designs.

Not by might!
Not by power!
Truth will prevail!

Orrionn44@hotmail.com