[dehai-news] International Women’s Day Celebrated in Atlanta

From: Yonas Seyum (yonasseyum81@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 10 2009 - 08:41:18 EST

On March 7, 2009, Eritreans in the Atlanta-metro area came together to celebrate International Women’s Day under the theme “Youths: Guarantors of Bright Future." The festivities of the night included food, dance, and entertainment in the form of music, a poetry recital, and a play. The hall was filled with women dressed in a variety of cultural wear representing the diversity of Eritrea. The chairwoman of the Atlanta branch of NUEW opened the event by welcoming all guests with a powerful speech highlighting the integral role of women in Eritrea’s struggle for liberation and in today’s society. This was followed by a speech from the chair of Atlanta PFDJ who re-iterated the importance of women in Eritrean society and congratulated the women on the successful commemoration of International Women’s Day in Atlanta.
The evening’s highlights included a thought-provoking and captivating play written by Tsehainesh Haileab about women who participated in the struggle for independence. The cast of the play included members of several different organizations including NUEW, YPFDJ, and HIDRI, and illustrated the grueling conditions our heroes and heroines had to endure to secure our freedom. A YPFDJ member then went on to read a poem dedicated to all Eritrean mothers titled “Adena.” This was followed by an evening filled with music and dance provided by singer Luel Fesshaye and several guest entertainers.
The event was a great success and members of the various organizations including NUEW, PFDJ, YPFDJ, and HIDRI all worked together to make sure the significance of the day was not forgotten - the equality of women in our nation and around the world is a goal we should all strive to attain.

NUEW - Atlanta