[dehai-news] (Press TV) US Congressman Paul: Wars planned to save US empire

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Sun Mar 08 2009 - 07:05:27 EST

Paul: Wars planned to save US empire

Sun, 08 Mar 2009 09:30:57 GMT

Congressman Ron Paul says that the US recession is due to Washington's
spending of trillions of dollars to maintain the 'American empire'.

"We spent over trillions of dollars a year maintaining American empire.
But nobody wants to give up the empire. Not even this new
administration," Paul said in an interview with CNN on Saturday.

The Texas congressman referred to President Barack Obama's decision to
deploy 17,000 additional troops in Afghanistan.

"They're [the Obama administration] pursuing the Bush policies in the
Middle East and they're not cutting back," he added.

"The troops will not be out of Iraq in 2011 because we're gonna having
56 military bases" in Iraq, Paul said, referring to his speech to the
House a day earlier.

Last month, the young president announced that the US combat mission in
Iraq would end August 31, 2010.

Criticizing Obama's 787-billion-dollar stimulus package, Paul said, "I
don't think it's going to do any good. Most of that money so far hasn't
helped."

"I would like to get that money to hands of people. I don't trust the
government. I don't trust the politicians and the bureaucrats because
they bailout their bodies."

When asked about his solution for resolving the biggest US economic
crisis since World War II, the former Republican presidential candidate
said he would cut back the spending overseas particularly in Iraq and
Afghanistan.

"I would cut 400 to 500 billion dollars from overseas. I don't think it
makes any sense to blow up bridges in Iraq and then pay to rebuild them
to no bid contracts with corporations never rebuild."

"I say spend all that money back here at home. We could save enough
money by just changing our foreign policy, cutting down on our deficit,
and still take care of people that we have taught to be so dependent,"
he concluded.

AGB/DT
http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=87895
<http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=87895§ionid=3510203>