[dehai-news] (Floridatoday) After fond farewells, airmen off to Africa

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2009 - 10:21:35 EST

After fond farewells, airmen off to Africa

Mission may include work in pirate-plagued shipping lanes

BY R. NORMAN MOODY . FLORIDA TODAY . February 24, 2009

Families embraced in the shadows of two HC-130 airplanes Monday and
2-year-old Joshua held onto his dad, Capt. Steve Sartain, before about
30 airmen from the 920th Rescue Wing left for yet another deployment in
the global war on terrorism.

The airmen are headed to the Horn of Africa to provide support for
search and rescue missions.

They may be called on to work in shipping lanes off the coast of
Somalia, where pirates have seized ship crews and cargo for ransom.

"We always have to go prepared to do more than we're tasked to do," said
Col. Jeff Macrander, 920th operations group commander. "Things can
change in a minute."

The airmen, who left shortly before noon Monday from Patrick Air Force
Base, are among about 70 from the base being deploying as part of the
war on terrorism.

In addition to the 30 who left Monday, an advance group of about 10 left
last week and another 25 airmen, along with equipment and supplies, are
scheduled to depart later this week on a C-17 airplane.

The unit expects to be deployed for slightly more than two months. They
will provide support for search and rescue in the Horn of Africa, which
is comprises Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia and Somalia.

The 920th Rescue Wing, which is going to Camp Lemonier, a base in
Djibouti, a country in eastern Africa slightly smaller than
Massachusetts, has been there before. On other deployments, the units
have helped with humanitarian projects in addition to their military
mission.

Monday's deployment will be Tech Sgt. Patrick Wilson's second to the
region. On his previous visit, he was able to help at an orphanage.

But Wilson knows the relative peace that allows those kinds of
opportunities can't be counted on.

"The threat there is still high in that environment," said Wilson, a
medic.

In recent months in addition to Africa, the 920th Rescue Wing, a Reserve
combat search and rescue unit, has had airmen deployed to Iraq and
Afghanistan.

Almost every member of the unit is a veteran of overseas deployments.

Master Sgt. Nathan Ahola, an aircraft mechanic, who in his civilian job
works at Patrick Air Force Base, said he has deployed overseas six
times. But that doesn't make it any easier for his family back in
Michigan.

"It worries me a little because my family worries," said Ahola, 27.
"It's OK. I'm not going to be on the front line."

Sartain, who joined the Air Force in 2001, is making his third trip to
Djibouti.

"I love my job, I love our mission," he said as he held his son while
the HC-130s were loaded. Sartain's wife, Kym, said the deployments get
easier with time.

"Everyone has been supportive," she said.

Steve Sartain said he and the others know that the Horn of Africa could
become a hot spot.

"It's been that ever since the pirates came on line," he said.

[...]

Contact Moody at 242-3651 or nmoody@floridatoday.com.

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20090224/NEWS01/902240321/1006/news0
1
<http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20090224/NEWS01/902240321/1006/news
01&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL> &referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

Contact Moody at 242-3651 or nmoody@floridatoday.com.