[dehai-news] (The Appalachian, NC) Runner Asmeron Desta leads by example

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Tue Feb 10 2009 - 10:31:00 EST

Tuesday, 10 February 2009
by STEPHANIE STRAUBEL
Intern News Reporter

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."

Lauded as the greatest contemporary distance runner, Steve R.
Prefontaine and his immortal words still resonate with athletes
looking to stiffen their goal and cement their commitment.

Appalachian State University has its own runner embodying these words
and performing prodigiously in and outside of the sporting arena.

In his four years at Appalachian, senior chemistry major Asmeron W.
Desta has proven himself to be a distinguished student and athlete.

Encouraged by his high school distance coach to quit assorted athletic
endeavors and concentrate on running, Desta quickly became
distinguished; he was named an all-state cross country runner and a
two-time regional champion at McDowell High School in Marion.

The Washington, D.C. native juggles 13 hours of class and starts his
day at 7:30 every morning.

At 3:30 p.m., after a full day of class, Desta reports to practice
where he performs grueling workouts and works with his trainer.

At 6 p.m. he relaxes, eats dinner, attends meetings and studies.

This formidable schedule doesn't hinder or intimidate Desta, who said
being an athlete helps him with his schoolwork.

"If you're maintaining that balance, you tend to be more organized and
structured than you would be if you had free time," he said.

Early in his college career, Desta was motivated by his older
teammates to continue the Appalachian tradition of success and
discipline, he said.

Developing strong relationships with teammates is paramount in a
sport, and the chemistry on the cross-country and track and field
teams is exceptional, Desta said.

"I love everybody on the team," he said. "It's kind of like having a
separate family, everyone on the team is like a brother or a sister."

Finding fortitude in his heritage, the athlete of Eritrean descent
identifies with his background and is inspired by the venerated
Ethiopian distance runner Kenenisa Bekele.

The accomplished Mountaineer hopes to secure a Triple Crown in his
final track season with his alma mater.

This prestigious decoration entails winning in cross-country, indoor
and outdoor track; Appalachian has not received a Triple Crown in
Desta's time on the team.

Earning this honor requires myriad athletes of equal vigor in both
track and field and cross-country, which are of equal merit to the
contender.

"They both bring something different and I love competing," Desta
said. "Both are huge on the team aspect."

Desta encourages Appalachian students to pursue running as a means of
staying in shape and seeking solace from the demands of ordinary
activities.

"My advice is to keep doing it and try to have fun," Desta said. "When
I go running I have a separate mindset. I just escape the stress of
the day."