[dehai-news] (TI) YEMEN: 'Al-Qaida is a growing challenge for US'

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Fri Feb 06 2009 - 03:34:28 EST

'Al-Qaida is a growing challenge for US'

WASHINGTON: In the backdrop of reports that al-Qaida has established a
strong base in Yemen to target America, the US has termed the terrorist
organization as a "growing challenge" for it.

Without going into specifics of reports related to Yemen, the state
department spokesperson, Robert Wood told reporters in response to a
question that the US is working with partners across the globe to
eliminate the threat of al-Qaida.

"It's not easy. This is a growing challenge for the United States," Wood
said and referred to the recent statement of President Barack Obama in
which he had said that "this is something that the US has to meet, there
is no alternative but to meet this challenge".

"We need to work closely with our partners and others around the world
to try to do what we can to eliminate the threat," Wood said.

He said there are concerns about al-Qaida activity in a number of places
around the world, not just Yemen.

"Let me just say that al-Qaida remains a concern for us in a number of
places around the world. It's still active. It still remains a threat to
the US and its allies. And we'll continue to pursue al-Qaida," he said,
adding that al-Qaida is operating in a number of places around the
world.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/World/US/Al-Qaida_is_a_growing_challe
nge_for_US/articleshow/4084726.cms