[dehai-news] (Standard, Kenya) Eritrea will return next year, says Gebreyesus

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2009 - 09:24:38 EST

Eritrea will return next year, says Gebreyesus

Published on 04/01/2009
By Gilbert Wandera

Eritrea will be back in next year's Challenge Cup a top official of the
country's Football Association (FA) has said.

According to Tesfaye Gebreyesus, the President of the Eritrea FA, his
country is a committed member of the Council for East and Central Africa
Football Association (Cecafa) and will strive to honour all its tournaments.

The country was replaced by Zambia in this year's tournament after they
pulled out at the last minute.

"We are coming back next year. We are in Cecafa to stay and will strive to
honour all our engagements from the national team and club championships,"
he said.

Gebreyesus is in Jinja as a technical official of the regional body, Cecafa.

Reduction in goal

Meanwhile, while most teams are fighting to win their matches and progress
in the Challenge Cup, Djibouti are content to celebrate the reduction in
goal margins of their losses.

For a team that was used to going down by as much as 11 goals, the reduction
of the scores is something to celebrate.

In two matches only, Burundi has conceded seven goals. They lost 3-0 to
Zambia last Wednesday and went down 4-0 to a hard fighting Burundi side on
Friday.

Where most coaches would weep or even opt to resign, Djibouti coach Ahamad
Kashari says for him it is a reason to celebrate.

"Two years ago we used to lose by nine, ten or even 11 goals now its only
three or four. For us it is a big improvement," he said.