[dehai-news] (AC) There We Go Again! Ethiopian Chauvinistic Attitude Towards Eritrea's Independence

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Tue Jun 30 2009 - 14:25:01 EDT

There We Go Again! Ethiopian Chauvinistic Attitude Towards Eritrea's
Independence

Berhane Alazar

 The American Chronicle, June 30, 2009

It is amazing how some Ethiopian intellectuals or those in the Diaspora
in general seem to love living as "Hostages of history" to use President
Isaias Afwerki´s phrase, on the recent interview he gave to Ethiopian
Review/Ethiopian Peoples Patriotic Front websites.

When I read the article titled "The way forward for Ethiopia and
Eritrea", by Shaleka Dawit Weldegiorgis, I thought it was the
reincarnation of TPLF's Sebhat Nega recent interview by sounding more
caring for Eritrean people than the EPLF/ELF freedom fighters ever were!
What in the hell is this guy talking about? The only thing that made
sense to me was his unconvincing appeal for Ethiopians to work with
Eritrea. I am saying "Unconvincing", for he purposely and willfully
butchered up the proud history of the Eritrean people. When one gets to
the jest of the matter, one can clearly sense that there was some deep
seated anger coming from this not so innocent army commander who
directed a war machine against Eritrea and the Eritrean people which
makes one wonder, do Ethiopian intellectuals ever seek some genuine
reconciliation with their Eritrean counterparts short of trouncing over
the inalienable right of the Eritrean people for political independence,
which we got through tremendous blood and sweat?

To start with Ato Dawit, as a direct participant of the horrendous
crimes that were committed by the regimes that he was part of against
unarmed and defenseless Eritrean people, can not have the moral high
ground to pretend that he cares about the Eritrean people by shedding
some crocodile tears. He is simply jumping in the "Work with Eritrea"
bandwagon for simply an opportunistic exercise.

Ato Dawit, as commander of a sizable part of the then largest army in
Sub-Saharan Africa, and governor of a state that was under the
subjugation of his country, should have known better than simply
regurgitating the old and tired line of lie after lie that was
perpetuated by the Ethiopian regimes with the blessing of past American
Administrations.

For the record and to remind the Ethiopian chauvinist,

The majority of the Eritrean people wanted and fought for nothing less
than complete independence when they saw their national identity and
democratic rights being eroded one by one. Even during the precursor to
the ill conceived Ethio-Eritrea "Federation", it is a known fact that
the members of the "Independence block" were, at least, twice that of
the Ethiopian supported and abated "Unionist Party" members.

Eritreans objected to the then British Administration to Eritrea´s evil
suggestion to partition the country between Ethiopia and The Sudan.

The Eritrean fighters were genuine freedom fighters and showed it by
some hard to believe self sacrifice and iron clad determination and won
their independence against all odds by beating the then largest army in
Sub-Saharan Africa - and they were not common "Bandits" as the
irresponsible criminal stated.

There was a show of sadness and unhappiness on that ill fated day ,
November 14, 1962, - the day the Ethiopians unilaterally abrogated the
so called Federal arrangement and annexed Eritrea with out any say by
the Eritrean people – not a sense of jubilation as the dishonest Ato
Dawit would like us to believe. The members of the Eritrean Assembly
"vote" was carried out under duress and that they were not allowed to
vote their conscience as it should have been. Ato Dawit knows only too
well that there was no reason for many Eritreans to vote "Union" with
Ethiopia after all the suffering and agony they have gone through – all
in the name of Ethiopia. Ato Dawit knows very well that Ethiopia was
carrying out terrorist activity against Eritreans it suspected supported
Eritrea´s independence, whose victims of its scorched earth campaign
invariably included women and children. Many Tigrean elements who were
residents in Eritrea have served Emperor Haileselasie very well in that
category. Does that sound familiar?

There is nothing to negotiate about either Badme or Assab for they are
both Eritrean sovereign territories as are the rest of other localities
within Eritrea. Ato Dawit, "You can´t have your cake and eat it". The
time to "dialogue" short of our hard won political independence,
national sovereignty and territorial integrity, would have made sense
before your visionless and corrupt government (that now you seemingly
disavow after you apparently became ´persona non grata´) decided to
attack a peaceful Eritrea with the many of the comatose Ethiopian
Diaspora celebrating a hollow "Victory" slogan the ever- deceptive
Weyane thugs proclaimed. You failed to reoccupy Assab and that was not
for lack of trying. In fact, you tried to re-colonize at least a portion
of Eritrea. In spite of the overwhelming support you were receiving from
various external players, your Weyane army was soundly defeated at the
hands of the gallant Eritrean Defense Forces. And that is a fact you can
take to help you wake up from your apparent dozing.

The other hullabaloo about how EPLF and President Isaias himself agreed
with you that the Eritreans would settle for something "Less than
independence" is a wishful thinking on your part and I will let the PFDJ
authorities address that issue.

We have heard it all before and some Ethiopians will go the distance to
create some fantasies to hide their crimes or crimes committed in their
name against the Eritrean people. Apparently, Ato Dawit does not have
the shame or even human decency to act differently.

We, the Eritrean people, have always stood by our words. Eritrea is a
sovereign state. We believe in the voluntary economic integration or
cooperation with Ethiopia and beyond. We say this because we think that
is the prudent way to do in this days and age of Globization. The
nations of the world have increasingly become ever dependent with each
other. This is particularly true with countries with less than robust
economy although one would be at a loss considering what has been
happening to the economically giant players lately. More importantly,
one doesn´t have to be as "Smart" as some Ethiopian cyber warriors would
like us to believe that there is so many common interest and common
destiny between our peoples that makes our cooperation in any field that
much of urgency. I am all ears for that. However, no unity of purpose
can be achieved unless such cooperation is based on legality, justice,
fairness and the respect of each of the conveying parties with no
ulterior motives. Unfortunately and sadly, that has been sorely missing
on the Ethiopian side for a long time. It is like the proverbial
"Ostrich burying its head in sand" thinking it may not be visible to the
outside world.

The Eritrean people have been very magnanimous towards Ethiopians
including the ungrateful Shaleka Dawit Weldegiorgis. They have decided
to let bygones be bygones and opened the door to work with Ethiopia and
Ethiopians. As President Isaias stated in his recent interview with
ER/EPPF, "the sky is the limit" indeed! But as it takes two hands to
clap, both parties must be in the same wavelength for such cooperation
to materialize. Short of that, it is perfectly alright for Eritrea and
Ethiopia to go about their own way until and when, perhaps, some sane
minds reign on the part of some Ethiopian chauvinists. But, if Ato
Dawit´s half hearted ceremony peppered with nostalgic sense of
domination and subjugation is any indication, we need more than crossing
our fingers to achieve a genuine unity of purpose of our long suffered
peoples of Eritrea and Ethiopia.

"Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me"

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/108117