[dehai-news] Shabait.com: President Isaias' speech on the occasion of Martyrs Day 2009

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Sat Jun 20 2009 - 14:56:01 EDT

President Isaias' speech on the occasion of Martyrs Day 2009
By
Jun 20, 2009, 16:28

 <http://www.shabait.com/upload/pdfs/piaspeech_20sene09_tig.pdf> The Speech
in Tigrigna <http://www.shabait.com/upload/pdfs/piaspeech_20sene09_ar.pdf>
The Speech in Arabic
<http://www.shabait.com/upload/20sene09_gallery/index.html> View Photo
Gallery

Ladies and Gentlemen,

http://www.shabait.com/articles-new/uploads/pia_20sene_20062009.jpgOn the
occasion of this auspicious day, I say to the nation's martyrs: Eternal
Glory to you as our ever-lasting pride and the inspiration of our existence!
I also wish to express my sincere congratulations to the Eritrean people
inside the country and abroad who stage candle lit vigils each year renewing
their pledge to honor the trust of martyrs.

The development endeavors we undertake and the progress that we register so
as to not only ensure a sovereign nation which succeeding generations are
proud of, but also build Eritrea into a Homeland where they lead a secure
and prosperous life, constitute the yardstick of our pledge.

As there is no substitute for laying solid foundation to guarantee
sustainable progress that is not measured by the changes witnessed each
year, we have managed to carry out demanding yet reliable tasks over the
past 18 years in the face of numerous challenges and hostilities.

Although it is obvious that the progress of our development endeavors
involve a number of factors, the yardstick that we employ above anything
else is that of ensuring food security.

It is difficult to assert that short of being in a position to feed
themselves on the basis of internal resources and capacity, any people
living even in those resource-rich nations would not achieve integrated
economic growth and stability. Indeed, a people who fail to put in place an
effective infrastructural groundwork for various sectors through one's own
know-how, competence and institutional capacity cannot at all attain
meaningful growth, as compared to reliance on external debt. Development
plans that do not lay an educational foundation for durable human resource
development in the domains of skilled scientific and professional manpower
are but short-lived. It is equally difficult to talk about meaningful health
services in any country without the prevalence of real change in the quality
of life of the people.

The meaning of our pledge to the martyrs and the goals for the realization
of which they laid down their precious lives is measured by the benchmarks I
have just outlined. However, material yardsticks alone cannot portray the
full picture. It is not possible to achieve an effective and sustainable
development in the absence of a people who are aware of and bear their
responsibility; generations aware of and bear their responsibilities; the
ones that value and honor their freedom and sovereignty; as well as those
that recognize the meaning of sacrifice and the values it embodies. What's
more, it is impossible to ensure an effective and durable development short
of a people and generations that champion the values of "selflessness and
giving priority to the people above anything else, and pursue long-term
goals"- in the same manner as our martyrs had demonstrated in exemplary
deeds. And seeing to it that these cherished values become an ever-alive and
renewable asset and one worthy of bequeathing to generations.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

As we commemorate Martyrs Day 2009, let us renew our pledge to step up the
work programs we are currently engaged in so that this auspicious occasion
may provide us the impetus to attain the highest level of progress.

Wishing all a promising rainy season,
Glory to our Martyrs!
Victory to the Masses!

 <http://www.shabait.com/upload/pdfs/piaspeech_20sene09_tig.pdf> The Speech
in Tigrigna <http://www.shabait.com/upload/pdfs/piaspeech_20sene09_ar.pdf>
The Speech in Arabic
<http://www.shabait.com/upload/20sene09_gallery/index.html> View Photo
Gallery

Nation commemorates Martyrs Day with patriotic zeal
By Staff
Jun 20, 2009, 11:25

http://www.shabait.com/articles-new/uploads/20sene09_20062009.jpg

Asmara, 20 June 2009 - Martyrs Day was today commemorated inside the country
and abroad with patriotic zeal. President Isaias Afwerki, Mr. Yemane
Gebreab, Head of Political Affairs at the PFDJ, the Defense Minister, Gen.
Sebhat Efrem, the Chairperson of the National Union of Eritrean Women (NUEW)
Ms. Leul Gebreab, and the Administrator of the Central region, Mr. Tewolde
Kelati respectively laid wreaths at the Patriots Cemetery.

President Isaias delivered a speech on the occasion highlighting the
immortal deeds of the nation's fallen heroes and the abiding commitment of
the Eritrean people to honor their trust.
 <http://www.shabait.com/staging/publish/article_0010061.html> For the full
text of the President's speech click here
 <http://www.shabait.com/upload/20sene09_gallery/index.html> View Photo
Gallery

image001.jpg
image002.jpg