[dehai-news] (VOA) The United States Seeks to Engage Eritrea

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Thu Jun 18 2009 - 09:57:12 EDT

The United States Seeks to Engage Eritrea

By Tizita Belachew
Washington
17/06/2009

 The U.S. Secretary of State's assistant for African affairs told VOA's
Tizita Belachew today "the door is open" to improving relations between
the United States and Eritrea.

In his second month on the job, Secretary of State for Africa Johnnie
Carson today discussed issues confronting several African countries
including Eritrea, Ethiopia, Sudan, Kenya, Somalia and Zimbabwe. Carson
has previously accused the State of Eritrea of shipping arms and
fighters to Somalia to support the insurgency of al-Shabab. Today, the
assistant secretary revealed a surprising twist in his efforts to engage
Eritrea.

Carson, who has served as a U.S. diplomat in six African countries, told
Tizita, "I met with the Eritrean ambassador and asked to meet with
President Isaias Afewerki. If he will give me a visa, I will be there."
However, after Carson left his passport with the Eritrean embassy "for
an extended period" he was surprised to find it returned "without a visa
in it."

"If relations are not improved it will not be because we're not trying
to act as a respected partner."

Carson said the Obama administration seeks to normalize strained
relations. "This administration seeks a better relationship with
Eritrea," Carson said. The most recent difference is over Eritrea's
support for the insurgency against the Transitional Government of
Somalia.

President Afewerki told VOA's Tigrigna service in Asmara two weeks ago
that he looks forward to meeting Carson, but Afewerki repeatedly denies
flying weapons to al-Shabab in Somalia.

"There is a growing volume of real and circumstantial evidence of
continuing relations between Asmara and al-Shabab," Carson said today.
"We encourage Eritrea to cut off relations" with the insurgents, he
said. "There should be no transit for foreign fighters through
Eritrea."

 "The door is open if they are transparent on Somalia."

http://www.voanews.com/horn/The-United-States-Seeks-to-Engage-Eritrea.cf