[dehai-news] Aawsat.com: Eritrean President Issaias Afeworki Talks to Asharq Al-Awsat

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Thu May 28 2009 - 07:51:47 EDT

Eritrean President Issaias Afeworki Talks to Asharq Al-Awsat

28/05/2009

By Kamal Idris

Asmara, Asharq Al-Awsat- The simplicity with which Eritrean President
Issaias Afeworki welcomed us was in harmony with the simple life of the
people in the capital Asmara, the Port of Massawa, the cities of Keren and
Tessenei, and other towns in Eritrea. However, Eritrea's celebration of its
18th anniversary of independence brings back to mind the years of war that
the four-million strong population waged for independence from Italy and
later from Ethiopia, turning the colony into one of the most recent free
countries that joined the United Nations. The presidential palace - where
the interview that Asharq Al-Awsat held with President Afeworki was
conducted - has become the people's icon of freedom. However, the president
does not reside there. Like other ordinary citizens, he lives in a rented
home in the middle of Asmara where he is surrounded by neighbors.
Simplicity, modesty, and friendliness are all present here in Eritrea.

The following is the full text of the interview:

(Asharq Al-Awsat) Your vision on the security of the Red Sea is that it
should be managed by the peoples of the region in order to avoid
international interventions. Would you tell us about this vision?

(Afeworki) This issue does not need any elaboration; it is a necessity. It
is a necessity imposed by the geography and the needs of the countries in
the region as well as the needs of this international waterway. The
responsibility of maintaining security in the Red Sea as a strategic water
passage is one of the priorities of these countries. How should these
countries deal with these priorities and necessities? No doubt, the will
exists but it should be followed with coordination in light of the presence
of good intentions in this direction. However, the matter needs groundwork
and then a mechanism to coordinate relations. The capabilities may be more
than what the circumstances require. However, the first step in the right
direction requires the organization of the beginnings and then finding the
mechanism. I am certain that the regional mechanism will be more effective
than external interventions that bring their own problems. We in this region
can do without external interventions.

(Asharq Al-Awsat) You have repeatedly talked about your position on the Arab
League. But at one time, Eritrea was chosen as an observer country, which
was a precedent in the Arab League, and you later became a full member. What
is your position now as an observer in the Arab League?

(Afeworki) This was a step that we described as a "courtesy". We do not wish
to engage in an argument on this subject. Talking about it has become
extremely boring. I believe that there is an Arab consensus - a consensus
with inconsistent voices - that this organization (the Arab League) is no
longer up to the level of the demands and aspirations of the peoples of this
region. It no longer has the power or the resources to carry out the
services required from it. This is not a shame nor is it insulting to the
officials of the Arab League. But the situation in the region has become
inconsistent regarding many issues in view of the external interventions.
With its present capabilities, the Arab League no longer represents the
aspirations of the peoples of this region in light of the lukewarm attitude
and unanimous agreement in opinion on the weakness of this organization.
Eritrea does not gain anything by being a member of the Arab League. As I
just said, the issue of membership as an observer was a courtesy; there was
no reason for us to be present in Cairo. Our brief experiment proved to us
that this organization needs a great deal of reform to become of use to the
peoples of the region.

(Asharq Al-Awsat) There is an Israeli Embassy in Asmara and an Eritrean
Embassy in Tel Aviv. Some assumed that this gives Eritrea a positive role to
play in the issue of Palestine, the central issue of the Arabs. How can you
play such a role?

(Afeworki) This likelihood may be impossible. Eritrea has no wish to involve
itself in an issue that is already complicated and that has become one of
the most difficult issues in the region. Even big powers or countries that
consider themselves as the most powerful in this region do not have the
resources to contribute positively or to be influential in this process. The
issue is not one of having an embassy here and an embassy in Tel Aviv. Your
embassy may be in distant lands with which you may not have any
relationship. The important and crucial point is that this issue should be
resolved by its own people; the efforts of others come later. Overstepping
on the capabilities of a country or interfering in solving this issue that
has become so internationally complex that even super powers have not been
able to find a solution to it would not bring a solution. There is nothing
that encourages one to make initiatives for a solution. In my opinion, what
is being propagated in the media or in diplomatic and political circles are
sheer falsehoods. They are mere words on something that does not exist in
the first place. In view of all these complications, Eritrea knows its place
and its role. Yes, we may have certain political stands and opinions on
certain matters. But, in my opinion, it would be impossible for Eritrea to
try to find a solution to this issue or to contribute to loosening the knot
of this problem.

(Asharq Al-Awsat) A number of officials have talked about Eritrea's role in
stirring up the current conflict in Somalia. They have also said that
Eritrea's relations with its neighbors in Djibouti and Ethiopia are not as
they should be and that your country has military bases in some neighboring
countries to support the resistance movements there. What is the truth, Your
Excellency?

(Afeworki) The source that is publishing such information and making the
media, the satellite channels, and diplomatic circles giddy is US circles.
Of course, we are surprised that we have a role in everything that is
happening around us. But all these reports are part of the campaigns by the
US Central Intelligence Agency. Like any other person, I have also heard in
the media that Eritrea is supporting the Islamists in Somalia with arms.
Naturally, the report originated in the US Department of State and within 24
hours, it turned into a Security Council resolution referring to reports
that Eritrea is supplying the Islamists in Somalia with arms. What is odd
about all this is that the satellite channels and all the newspapers report
on this issue without verifying the source and without trying to find out
whether it is fact or fiction. All these are lies, as I just said and part
of the mission of the US Central Intelligence Agency. It has its own agenda
and has turned the world giddy, especially since 2006. We were taken by
surprise to hear that there are 2,000 Eritrean fighters in Mogadishu. So we
began ask: Where did this information come from? The information is from US
sources. Unfortunately, the Security Council also adopted this information
and said that there are 2,000 Eritrean soldiers in Mogadishu. The Ethiopian
invasion came after that and their forces entered Mogadishu but there was
not a single Eritrean soldier in Mogadishu. The perplexing question that
begs an answer is: Why are such reports repeated and why do some media
figures accept them as a publishable fact? It would be better for these
media outlets to take the information from its source and to verify it and
then publish the truth. Eritrea's position in Somalia is amoral, political,
and legal one. We say that no one has the right to accept the situation in
fragmented Somalia. It is not in anyone's interest to have a divided Somalia
and fragmented Somalis. It is not in the interest of anyone for the tragedy
of the Somalis to grow day after day while the external interventions are
the cause of this tragedy. We denounce and condemn foreign interventions,
including US interventions in this issue. The whole purpose of these
intensive campaigns is to distort the truth and point the finger of
accusation at Eritrea. I am not surprised. The media outlets that propagate
and inflate such false information and give a wrong impression to observers
should correct their information and take it from its correct sources. They
should ask the source in order to get to the facts.

(Asharq Al-Awsat) So you believe that the issue is US interventions through
the Central Intelligence Agency to destabilize the region?

(Afeworki) No, no; this is the political culture of the US Central
Intelligence Agency. I am not making haphazard accusations. The same
scenario was repeated in Iraq after claiming that there were weapons of mass
destruction there. They had certain stands against Saddam Hussein's regime,
which was another matter altogether. The claim made by senior officials of
the former US Administration that there were weapons of mass destruction
there has been revealed to be a lie. A few days ago, Nancy Pelosi said that
the Central Intelligence Agency distorts the facts, lies to, and deceives
the members of Congress. Lying has become one of the traits of the CIA
culture in several cases. It has become the source of lies that others begin
to believe. The CIA releases a lie and then believes it and makes the world
believe it in order to prepare for what scheme it may and use in another
scenario. It leaks information to the media then picks up these leaks and
publicizes them. The CIA builds on these lies as if it was not the original
source that leaked them and this way the ball keeps rolling. I say that this
has become a boring and broken record that has been exposed in the whole
world. As I just said, the people should wonder when any information is
leaked. They should verify the source and the purpose of the leak. A piece
of information should be published after the facts are confirmed.

(Asharq Al-Awsat) The relationship with Addis Ababa is very fraught with
tension. Are there any initiatives to bring viewpoints closer together?

(Afeworki) This is not possible; there are territories that were occupied by
Ethiopia after the arbitration. Ethiopia should withdraw its troops from the
occupied lands. This is not subject to discussion.

(Asharq Al-Awsat) You mean this is your principle, that there will be no
dialogue?

(Afeworki) There is no dialogue and there will absolutely be no dialogue.

(Asharq Al-Awsat) So are you saying that the solution begins with
withdrawal?

(Afeworki) There will be no solution, no negotiations, and no dialogue even
after Ethiopia withdraws from our territories. We are not obliged to engage
in any dialogue. What dialogue? What issue? There is no issue.

(Asharq Al-Awsat) There are reports that Eritrea has brought in two
opposites into its land - Israel and Iran. What is the truth?

(Afeworki) Same thing, ask the Central Intelligence Agency that published
this information in the same manner by leaking it. They leaked the
information and said that they obtained it from reliable sources. What are
these reliable sources? We know them but the world does not. They are the
reliable sources. They want to fabricate a clamor in the region about Iran,
Iran's role, Iran's influence in the region, and Iran's infiltration of the
region. There is a lot of talk on this subject and one wonders: How did Iran
come to Eritrea, which door did it use, and in what issue? At the same time
I was recently asked about Iranian submarines in the Eritrean coasts in the
Red Sea. My reply was if there are submarines, where are they? Tell us so we
would know. It is very odd for some to claim that there are Iranians in the
Assab Harbor in the Red Sea. How did they come? Did they come by air or in
disguise? Prior to that, there was talk about Israeli bases. In the first
place, after independence, one of the basic principles of this country's
foreign policy is not to allow any presence of any military force on
Eritrean soil; no military presence of any force regardless of its might.
Engaging in such a game is not useful for us and is not strategically
acceptable. This is a basic principle of our foreign policy. We do not allow
any country from the region or from outside the region to have bases on our
soil. The queer thing is that the reports said that Israel and Iran are
present in the sea together! This is indeed laughable. The well known
quarters wish to fabricate discord by publishing such reports. I advise the
media that outlets that promote this process to verify and then to publish
the facts.

(Asharq Al-Awsat) So, Your Excellency the president, are you categorically
saying that there are no foreign bases in your country?

(Afeworki) No, there are not and there will not be on this land. If they
tell you there is a base on the moon that is fine! But here, in this
country, there can be no such thing.

(Asharq Al-Awsat) What is behind the tension in your relationship with
Djibouti?

(Afeworki) There is no tension, the tension there it was created by the
United States. If you wish to verify this, refer to the statements of the US
Department of State and to the resolutions that the Security Council has
issued. This is a problem that has been fabricated by the policies of the
successive administrations or governments in Washington.

(Asharq Al-Awsat) So, can we say that the relationship between you and
Djibouti is like "milk and honey"?

(Afeworki) There is no milk and no honey and no such recipe because Djibouti
or those that wish to make problems for Djibouti may have succeeded in this.
We reject these interventions in Djibouti. There are US and French bases in
Djibouti and intensive activity. We do not comment or give our opinion on
this presence at all. All policies there come from Washington and lead to a
fabricated problem. Our main concern is to avoid problems or to foment
problems with the neighbors. This is part of the fabricated problem. I do
not think there are any relations for us to say relations of milk and honey.

(Asharq Al-Awsat) Let us now move to the issue of Darfur. What do you think
of the current solutions as a country that has special relations with
Khartoum?

(Afeworki) We follow a firm principle in all issues whether in Somalia or
any other issue. In other words, the Somalis are best qualified to solve
their problem. No solutions can come from outside Somalia without involving
the Somalis and leaving matters up to the Somalis. Similarly, the problem in
Sudan should be resolved by the Sudanese. There is no alternative to this
process. The mistake that took place was the internationalization of the
issue. It was an unjustified internationalization that led to what we are
witnessing today. Prior to Abuja, the people predicted a process of
internationalization and some innocently while others deliberately embarked
on the maze of internationalization. If the issue of Darfur is one of
marginalization, marginalization can be described. It can be defined,
diagnosed, and treated. The people of Sudan are the most qualified to solve
this problem regardless of the differences in viewpoints in how the problem
originated and how it can be solved. There should be a Sudanese-Sudanese
accord to solve the problem whatever it is. Even after a long time and more
complications, there can be no solution in Sudan except through
reconciliation. The Sudanese should be left alone to solve this problem and
all the countries neighboring Sudan are positively contributing to warm the
climate and solve this problem. The fact now is that the issue of Darfur is
no longer a Sudanese issue; it has become a regional, international, and
legal issue outside the framework of Sudan. Will this help in solving the
problem? It will definitely not. The situation should go back to its origins
and the solution should be a Sudanese-Sudanese one. The foreign
interventions that we have seen since Abuja to date will not solve this
problem. In our opinion, the issue is one of the simplest ones no matter
what its background. Whether it is problems among the tribes or a problem
caused by the government or a problem caused by some parties inside Darfur,
these can be solved within a Sudanese-Sudanese framework.

(Asharq Al-Awsat) A few days ago, you stated to the media that the problem
in Sudan is that one of the two partners ruling Sudan is not serious about
normalizing matters and solving the issue of Darfur. Did you mean that?

(Afeworki) The problem is complicated and the Sudanese solution should be a
comprehensive one. The Nifasha agreement that was concluded between the
People's Movement and the National Congress could have marked a start but
not the comprehensive solution for Sudan. There is an issue in the east, the
issue of Darfur, and other issues in the north and in central Sudan. A
comprehensive solution for the whole issue cannot be reached unless all
these partial issues are resolved. What was talked about the dialogue
between the two partners in rule - the national unity government in Sudan
between the National Congress and the People's Movement - is part of this
agreement. It will not be implemented with the same spirit and has
challenges. It has its direct and indirect effect on what is happening in
Darfur. According to the agreement, the central government is made up of the
People's Movement and the National Congress. The position of the National
Congress and that of the People's Movement on Darfur and on the solution of
the Darfur issue are different. How can the central government deal with the
Darfur issue at a time when the two partners in rule have divergent stands
on this process? This further complicates the issue. I do not think that
foreign interventions - even if good intentioned - that do not take this
into consideration can solve the issue of Darfur.

(Asharq Al-Awsat) It is noted that there is a very strange peaceful
co-existence in Eritrea among all the denominations. How can this be
explained?

(Afeworki) This has been the case for a long time. You know that
Christianity entered Eritrea in 330 A.D. Islam came immediately after in the
same century after the prophet, may God's prayers and peace be upon him, and
his companions were in the Holy Land. How can nations co-exist? The peoples
are homogenous. They may have different languages and they may belong to
different tribes but they have been homogenous since ancient times. Even
before the appearance of countries that we can call modern, Muslims and
Christians have co-existed in this country for more than 1,000 years. In
other words, the civilization here is ancient; the people did not emerge
from the jungles and engage in fighting among themselves. The people
co-existed and knew one another. This is what distinguishes the realities
that you can see today. We have a church here and a mosque there; a Muslim
here and a Christian there; some speak one language, others speak another
language. We have nine languages. But we are all from the same ethnic group
and the same background. We have been living in this region for centuries.
This is what distinguishes us in addition to the maturity of the people that
they gained from their experience during the period of struggle. They
triumphed because they were united; they lived in harmony; and they had one
goal despite the differences in the cultural and denominational structure
and other matters. This is one of God's gifts to this land.

(Asharq Al-Awsat) Some quarters are talking about a restricted Eritrean
press.

(Afeworki) We do not have a misguided press in this country and we do not
think there is an absolute press freedom in the world. The world newspapers
are now operating in the so-called age of globalization. It is a process of
monopoly by specific groups that are known by name and known by their
capabilities, financing, and management. Press freedom is non-existent and
we are opposed to this situation in the world on which certain quarters
impose their control. These quarters are using the media to serve their
private interests. The true voices of the media are the voices that oppose
the monopolization of the media that are distorting the facts and serving
monopolist interests. The media is now monopolized by a specific quarter
that has interests, ambitions, and policies of hegemony and monopoly. They
are exploiting the media and this is part of their policies. Should we be
part of this process or should we make our voices heard and not allow these
quarters to muzzle us? We do not allow these world organs to be active on
our land to distort the facts and create discord in our country or our
region and in our environment. This country and this region need a free
media, a free media that convey the information as it is so that the people
would build on facts and correct information and then analyze viewpoints in
the interest of these peoples. This region needs to create and unify harmony
among its peoples not to use the media to cause division and create sedition
among nations and countries. This is not true media but media of distortion
and fabrication of discord. We do not welcome and we have no interest in
adopting such a process. That is the false media say that there is no free
press in Eritrea. We are reassured and at peace with this process because
the accusations against us are being made by oppressors, counterfeiters, and
monopolists that think they alone have media and no one else. We have a
clear stand on this issue and the people are following up on what is
happening in the world and in the region. They differentiate between facts
in this country. We have a mature media that convey the facts without any
distortion.

(Asharq Al-Awsat) Let us go back to Sudan. The Sudanese president visited
you several times after the International Criminal Court (ICC) issued the
arrest warrant against him. Was this an Eritrean message to the world? What
is your opinion on the decision of the ICC?

(Afeworki) This is a political decision. The issue of Darfur is one of the
complicated issues. Before the (ICC) decision was issued, our position was
to reject interventions that targeted Sudan first and then the region
through Sudan. The Sudanese people will not be the only losers if Sudan is
torn up and becomes entangled in internal disputes. The whole region will
lose and this is something that we reject completely. No one will gain from
instability in Sudan. Proceeding from this subject and following up on all
the events that took place regarding the issue of Darfur, these
interventions are political interventions to peddle obvious agendas. The
issue of the so-called court was a political decision, a political decision
made by the Security Council. From where did the information come that drove
the Security Council to make such a decision? This is well known. The
Security Council turned the process from a political decision to the
so-called criminal court. In such a case, the issue becomes political and
not legal and has no connection to violations that took place in Darfur. The
information did not come from specialized bodies that gathered the
information and made the charge based on this information. Proceeding from
this premise, we are talking about the way that the charge was made against
President Al-Bashir and the arrangements that were made. As far as we are
concerned, the motives and agendas are quite obvious and we rejected them
from the first day. Our reception of the president here expresses part of
the position of everyone in this region. This became obvious through his
visits to several countries and his participation of the Arab League meeting
in Doha. This is an international stand. It does not accept political
interventions under any guise to create more instability in Sudan.

(Asharq Al-Awsat) On the occasion of the 18th anniversary of independence,
the question that arises concerns a review of development during this
period. What is the status of the march for development in Eritrea?

(Afeworki) In the past 18 years, we have been working seriously to build the
infrastructure. This was the priority despite the external obstacles,
problems, border issues, and other problems. We began by building a homeland
that was devastated by wars. We needed to adopt economic development
policies taking into consideration the circumstances that we inherited after
the war. Our priority was the infrastructure because there can be no
development or economic investment in all the sectors without an
infrastructure. By infrastructure we mean roads, airports, harbors, electric
power, water, and communications. After that we moved to investments and to
attract investors in several sectors like agriculture, tourism, industry,
and other sectors. Praise be to God, we can say that we succeeded to a large
extent in implementing our infrastructure projects. What is important in
this regard is that all our projects - almost all - were carried out by
local capabilities, local construction companies, and national human
resources. This has been a great asset for us over the past 18 years. At
present, we have an asset in qualified people. All projects are constructed
by local qualified and highly capable people. This is a major
accomplishment. The fruits of investment are beginning to appear in several
sectors, such as the fishing wealth, after the completion of the
infrastructure projects that serve the fishing industry. As for agriculture,
we are still in the middle of the road. But we can say that in the past 18
years we succeeded in building an infrastructure to move from rain
agriculture to irrigated agriculture. This is a guarantee of our food
security. In the sector of mining, we have begun to implement projects. God
willing, by next year or the end of this year, we will begin prospecting for
gold and several other resources. This is the fruit of 18 years.

(Asharq Al-Awsat) This leads us to ask about the oil reserves in Eritrea.
How much is this reserve and where have you reached?

(Afeworki) This is a subject that we do not wish to talk about until all the
measures are completed and we actually begin. However, I can say that there
is a large reserve but we should not talk about this without verifying all
the angles for the sake of credibility.

(Asharq Al-Awsat) But you can confirm that there is a reserve?

(Afeworki) The excavations are continuing and the reserve is there but
things are still at the beginning.

(Asharq Al-Awsat) The countries of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) are
moving toward agricultural investments outside their territories in order to
insure sources of food in countries close to them. Your country contains
fertile land that is suitable for agriculture and it also contains sources
of water. Is it possible to have partnerships in this regard?

(Afeworki) This approach is very encouraging. The largest Gulf investments
were in non-economic investments or not in genuine economic investment
projects. The trend was to invest in stocks, shares, and financial
institutions. This has had a big impact on the Gulf investors and investors
in the region. Now after the world financial crisis, the Gulf investors have
become more mature. They are now investing in real investments in a genuine
economy and ensuring food is a basic and strategic issue that has no other
alternative. Many countries, especially Saudi Arabia, resorted to
agricultural projects and successful investments in animal wealth and the
production of fruits, vegetables, and grains. But this is not enough. The
trend now is toward regions that are close to the Gulf, including Sudan,
Eritrea, and other countries in the region that will benefit from this trend
because they have the needed resources of water, land, and even labor. The
cost of transport and the security guarantees are also available. We are
still in the early stages of this process. There are already some
investments in Eritrea and we have conducted feasibility studies to launch
major projects in the highlands and in the western plains or the eastern
coastal plains. We are in the process of establishing the infrastructure
that these projects need to provide water, modern irrigation technology and
then land reclamation for several projects. God willing, there are also
non-Arab investments in this regard. God willing, when the infrastructure is
completed, there will be huge investments equal to the opportunities that
Eritrea can provide.

(Asharq Al-Awsat) This leads us to relations with Saudi Arabia and the Gulf
countries in general. If we were to go beyond the economic sector, what is
the nature of these relations?

(Afeworki) Our relations with the Gulf countries are of the best. We started
working on the infrastructure of the country after 1991 and we began
constructing a huge national project to generate electric power. This
project was financed by funds in the Gulf and Saudi Arabia. Its effect on
other projects was great because it is a vital and strategic project for
Eritrea. It was part of Eritrea's commitments and parallel stands. The
relationship continues to be normal and ordinary. We can say that we have
distinctive strategic relations. We hope that the opportunities for
investment and commerce would strengthen this relationship between Eritrea,
the Gulf countries, and Saudi Arabia.