[dehai-news] Successful Eritrean Independence Day Picnic in Atlanta

From: Yonas Seyum (yonasseyum81@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed May 20 2009 - 09:11:09 EDT

On Sunday May 17th 2009, the Eritrean National Holiday Organizing Committee of Atlanta hosted this year’s Eritrean Independence Day Picnic at Milam Park in Clarkston Georgia. The event was filled with Eritreans and friends of Eritrea of all ages joining together to celebrate 18 glorious years of independence of our beloved country. Different Eritrean organizations were active participants in this year’s Independence Day picnic. The Eritrean Community Center of Georgia (ECCGA) sponsored the BBQ for all attendants while the NUEW of Atlanta served traditional coffee and delicious suwa. The YPFDJ and HIDRI of Atlanta Chapter were also front and center planning different activities ranging from volleyball, soccer, water-balloon fights for the kids and youth to selling items such as books and t-shirts. At the end of the day it was the music and great food that brought everyone together enjoying each other’s company. Although for most of the day the weather wasn’t exactly optimal for a cookout, fervent supporters of Eritrea showed up proudly with their Eritrean paraphernalia to celebrate this important day in our history. Among our usual crowd of long-time Atlantanians, we had lots of newcomer Kunama families attend the event, bringing more diversity and appreciation to the many ethnic groups of our country. While timid at first, not knowing anyone from the vast Eritrean community in Atlanta, our newcomers later took over the scene, showing everyone how dancing Kunama-style is really done! This Eritrean Independence Day Picnic was truly a success in highlighting the victory Eritrea has accomplished thus far, bringing our people together in harmony, and fostering the very thing that makes us unique, which is OUR proud Eritrean identity. We look forward to our Independence Day Celebration this Saturday May 23rd at the Hindu Temple in Norcross. This Saturday we salute together as one: Long Live Eritrea, Awet N’Hafash!

National Holiday Organizing Committee – Atlanta
Public Relations