[dehai-news] (Aljazeera) Eritrea's UN envoy says Eritrea not arming Somali insurgents

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Fri May 15 2009 - 23:10:41 EDT

Excerpts: "Eritrea rejects the accusations that it sends weapons to the
al Qaeda-linked groups fighting Somalia's government.

Araya Desta, Eritrea's UN ambassador, said: "We have never done this -
it is totally false and misleading."

No support

Desta said Eritrea had never given financial or military support to
opposition factions in Somalia.

"The historical relationship that exists between Eritrea and Somalia is
still intact, we fully respect them and we anticipate peace and
stability in the country - that is our goal," he said."

UN probes Eritrea arms in Somalia

Saturday, May 16, 2009

The UN Security Council has voiced concern over reports that Eritrea has
been supplying arms to fighters who intent to topple Somalia's
government.

"The Security Council ... expresses its concern over reports that
Eritrea has supplied arms to those opposing the [government of] Somalia
in breach of the UN arms embargo," the statement said on Friday.

The Council called for an investigation into the reports.

The 15-nation council also demanded that Somali opposition groups
immediately end the violence and join reconciliation efforts in the
lawless Horn of African state.

In an accusation backed by some security experts and diplomats,
Somalia's government said earlier this month that Eritrea continues to
support al Shabab fighters with AK-47 assault rifles, rocket-propelled
grenades and other weapons.

Eritrea rejects the accusations that it sends weapons to the al
Qaeda-linked groups fighting Somalia's government.

Araya Desta, Eritrea's UN ambassador, said: "We have never done this -
it is totally false and misleading."

No support

Desta said Eritrea had never given financial or military support to
opposition factions in Somalia.

"The historical relationship that exists between Eritrea and Somalia is
still intact, we fully respect them and we anticipate peace and
stability in the country - that is our goal," he said.

Clashes between al Shabab fighters - who admit to having foreigners in
their ranks - and pro-government fighters have killed at least 139
people and sent around 27,000 people fleeing the seaside capital of
Mogadishu since late last week.

The Security Council expressed "concern at the loss of life and the
worsening humanitarian situation arising out of the renewed fighting."

Somalia's 18 years of anarchy has left millions displaced, killed tens
of thousands and created one of the world's worst aid crises.

Attacks on relief workers, extortion and regular clashes have hampered
groups trying to work there.

Aid organisations warned on Thursday that Somalia's worst fighting in
months was aggravating an already dire humanitarian emergency.

No peacekeepers

Large parts of Somalia's south and centre are under the control of al
Shabab and allied fighters.

The UN Security Council has long been under pressure from African states
to send a UN force to Somalia, but repeatedly delayed deciding.

It is due to consider the matter again by June 1.

Ban Ki-moon, the UN secretary-general, recommended in a report to the
Security Council last month that the best approach would be to step up
support for African Union peacekeepers already in Somalia, Amisom, and
for Somali security forces.

Indonesia has said it would be willing to lead and provide troops for an
eventual UN peacekeeping mission in Somalia.

Ban has cautioned that sending UN blue helmets to Somalia any time soon
would be a high-risk move that would likely prompt attacks against the
peacekeepers.

Sharif Ahmed was sworn in as Somalia's president in January, promising
to forge peace with east African neighbours, tackle rampant piracy
offshore and rein in anti-government fighter groups.

http://english.aljazeera.net//news/africa/2009/05/200951603447360512.htm