[dehai-news] Two Levels of Eritrean Pride

From: awetnayu@hotmail.com
Date: Thu May 14 2009 - 12:47:02 EDT

Two Levels of Eritrean Pride
Amanuel Biedemariam

The story of Eritrea is a story like no other. It stands on its own for bravery, vision, wit, determination and doggedness. It is unique for many reasons but mainly for sheer determination to accomplish what has never been done in Africa, free a nation from perpetual colonization, without outside support. It is unique because the powers Eritrea faced were far-more powerful by international standards. They possessed major military might, political influence, deceitful strategic approaches and boundless resources to ensure dominance. In addition, they were united to see Eritrea under the hands of their client-state Ethiopia at any cost.

In reverse, every thing was stocked against the people of Eritrea. They lacked money, resources, military-hardware; political influence, training and all means necessary to counter the massive powers staring at them. The idea to fight for independence and succeed was remote but somehow Eritreans found it plausible. The feeling of making the vision of independent-Eritrea radiated throughout every segment of the population instinctively and spontaneously. The numbers of those who joined to fight for the independence of Eritrea trickle up and by the mid 70s, Eritrean struggle for liberation blossomed.

The story of the curled afro-styled haired men and women in shorts with Kalashnikovs fighting Ethiopian commandos became legendary like mythical stories. At times it felt like nothing could stand in their way. They provided a sense of pride. Pride they embedded deep into the souls of every Eritrean. They empowered, motivated and inspired Eritreans who didn’t think Eritrean independence was possible in their life time. They kept Eritreans connected with their heritage, traditions and music. They taught and showed what dedication meant by example. They entertained with a message while uniting Eritreans in the Diaspora. And they went the distance to ensure victory by making every sacrifice known to man.

They left their homes, their wives and dear children. They set aside their goals and dreams. They left their carriers behind to uncertain future. They gave their fame and fortune to their cause without hesitation. They left knowing their actions can endanger their family’s lives and livelihood. They left families and children behind in the hands of brut and criminal enemy army that was hell bent to see Eritreans dissipate by all means in order to take the land.

The enemy was cognizant of our powers, respectful of Eritrean can do attitude that transformed their country Ethiopia from the middle ages but hoped, prayed and did all that is in their power to see Eritreans fail. The world was oblivious to our plight and ignored the hardship Eritreans faced in a daily basis every where. When Eritrea was being scorched by napalm bombs provided by Israel, the Soviet Block and the West, our cries fell in deaf ears. We were dispensable, expendable, and no where and no one to turn to. Those who are crying in the name of freedom of press and human rights today were mute enjoying the annihilation of Eritreans.

That meant we needed to BELIEVE! Believe on each other. Believe in our leaders and leadership. Believe in our masses to withstand the hardship, the scorching, hunger, insane living conditions. Believe that we can do it ourselves! Believe on the mission that echoed so brilliantly throughout the Eritrean psyche that called on the mass to be aware, organize and arm. And envisioned on Victory for the Masses! Eritrea heeded that message and took it a step further, to a collective national-social-conscience and rose to the mountain top, Asmara, and put the true banner Mission Accomplished. They cemented the pride of Eritrea for good, paid for by all the blood and sacrifices in order to lift the children of today’s Eritrea. Rimna!
Take Two
Soon thereafter however, Eritrea was tried fiercely by a challenge that could have derailed the victorious spirit of those who went through long and difficult struggle for independence. Just at a moment when Eritrea can let her guards down, relax, join the world and start to rebuild; she was suddenly forced to pick up the torch one more time. Eritreans were encircled in a web designed to entrap, immobilize them and suck-out Eritrean juices dry. Smelling blood and sensing imminent death of Eritrea, the vultures started hovering. The quisling league AKA lost-souls were hatched from the dumps of Weyane. Confident of their march to Asmara, danced on the graves of martyrs with TPLF soldiers.

Consequently, the experiences of the last decade will remain as one of the most chronicled moments in the history books of Eritrea. However, even if the challenges seemed insurmountable, the undercurrent Eritrea pushed is what defines and will define Eritrea for the foreseeable future. Eritrea paid dearly with unnecessary sacrifices due to belligerent and deceitful TPLF leaders in Ethiopia. However, it was not in vein, because that triggered instinctive reaction based on values that was embedded deep. It is a value system that traces its roots to the days of struggle for liberation and serves as a foundation. It is THE value that determines the very existence of the nation. It is the main ingredient to all Eritrean successes. Eritrean Unity!

Eritrea is always united to defend and build the nation. United to grow together, united to support and nurture each-other and to lift the standard of living by education. Eritrea is united to find indigenous solutions to problems and challenges in agriculture, construction, education, infrastructures building, institutional development, communication and expansion of services. The approach permeates throughout every sector. If we take healthcare as an example, Eritrean is committed to see a healthy-nation using holistic approach to community-health-care focusing primarily on women and children. By building medical infrastructures in all parts of Eritrea, health care is becoming available to all.

The methodology applied for sustainable healthcare system in Eritrea is fascinating. Eritrea was lucky to have learned from pitfalls that drained the brains of doctors and educators underdeveloped nations’ experience. To counter that, Eritrea established health-education sector that partners with doctors around the world. It is fascinating to see doctors of varied specialties contributing their expertise as well as equipments to the program enthusiastically. It is a program that will certainly yield dividends to Eritrea and the region. It is a program that can encourage other countries to solve problems fundamentally using indigenous long term solutions following Eritrea’s lead.
The Swing
Over the last decade Eritrea has moved forward even when the rogue mercenary TPLF regime in Ethiopia and the Bush administration placed major obstacles as part of their campaign to see a failed Eritrea. They acted as if they are invincible and placed every hurdle known to man fearing no consequence. But eerily, the similarities of the fall Mengistu Hailemariam and the current circumstances surrounding the Meles regime are striking. The end of the Cold-war spelled disaster for Mengistu. The USSR was defeated; communism was associated with failure and money dried. Similarly, the driving force behind the Bush administration support for Meles was the War-on-Terror or the war between good and evil; code slogan for religious war! The world rejected the war uniformly and lead to a failed Bush administration. It damaged US reputation around the world and emptied US coffers leading to massive economic crisis around the globe. This will deny Meles the money he is used to.

And just as the USSR was unable to support Mengistu after the Cold-War; Meles will not get the unlimited support he once enjoyed from Washington. Like Mengistu, Meles will not be able to finance his army. This is creating defection of high ranking military officers, massive imprisonment and involuntary dissolution of the mercenary TPLF army. Like Mengistu, Meles has no public support and faces insurgencies throughout Ethiopia. Mengistu claimed to wipeout rebellion and failed. Similarly, everything Meles claimed he can accomplish as a regional power failed. Eritrea defeated the Derg successfully leading to the crumbling of the army and ensuring the independence of Eritrea. And the defeat of Meles appears imminent because he is at the weakest political position ever and on shaky grounds.

Eritreans must feel pride and a sense of major accomplishment this independence day because we overcame the Bush administration with our heads up high in the face of tremendous pressure and adversity. Eritrea cemented a position of independence unseen any where, defiantly. Eritrea successfully transferred an economy that was largely dependent on trades with one country by creating new partnership. Eritrea showed sophistication and what it means to stand on principle in the worst of times never compromising her position. Eritrea showed the world what it meant to be a regional player indeed and for a good cause, peace. Eritrea created alliances while cornered showing illusiveness not only on the battle field but in all the fields. Eritrea is developing capacity in all sectors to ensure sustainable growth. Eritrea showed, preservation, history and education mattered. Eritrea proved to the world, “injustice any where is injustice everywhere!” Eritrea bravely showed the world Eritrea is not a cakewalk.

Eritrea broke all the taboos the West propagated by developing construction capacity, maritime-exploration-education and exploration of ones historical heritage in every part of Eritrea. Eritrea is building infrastructure necessary that will ensure tourism coupled by stability. Eritrea, while under tremendous pressure created media outlets that serve not only the kids of Eritrea but kids throughout the region. In addition, Eritrean kids are running their own successful entertaining-educational programs in keeping with our values.

In short, what Eritrea accomplished is nothing short of miracle. It doesn’t mean that we are there but, the principles Eritrea cemented will ensure future success for the next generation more that any structure we can build. It is admirable to see the way Eritreans worked to develop while fiercely defending the country. The culture of work, sacrifice and persistence will go a long way to ensure a successful nation and the life we deserve. Because Eritreans have toiled and died to pave the way, literally! There are those who believe we should be on the moon and have taken the steps to get there however, Eritrea is in the right place.

Before independence Eritrea fought because we believed in a dream, a dream many thought will never materialize in our life time. But it did. We didn’t know what freedom would look like and we earned it overcoming very dark moments. Stage one was reached in May 24, of 1991. At that moment we placed our feet on a platform of freedom.. After a limited respite, in 1998, we started the struggle anew against a thick pressure meant to derail every thing Eritrea established during the struggle for liberation. And brilliantly Eritrea used it as a lever to catapult her on to the stage we are in today!

This Independence Day, Eritrea is on a new stage. The international platform! It is a platform for trade, business and development. After an arduous climb we have arrived at the mountain top. But we just arrived and we are setting our gears to try to navigate successfully. We have made some necessary moves to set us on sound footing. We have made strong alliances, friendships and best possible deals we can make to jumpstart our mining and other resources. In other words we are like the kid who just graduated from high school and received scholarship to go to college. And like the good kid who wants to make his parents proud, we have to do good by doing all the right things. We have to study hard, learn from others when we can and always think, how to make home a better place. Eritrea has always been a source of pride for all, but now, it is time to think about the Second-Level-of-Pride; to become proud members of the global community and compete successfully. It is time to dream big. It is NOW!

Happy 18th Eritrea
Wetru Awet N-Hafash