[dehai-news] (Shaebia) Interview with Haiat Iman: Eritrean Intern from Canada

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Tue May 12 2009 - 14:17:54 EDT

Interview with Haiat Iman: Eritrean Intern from Canada

M. Negash, May 12, 2009

Could you acquaint yourself for the readers of shabia.org?

My name is Haiat Iman. I was born and raised in Canada. I am a Political
Science graduate from the University of Toronto. I came to Eritrea to
intern for the projects department at the National Union of Eritrean
Women (NUEW). I am also volunteer for two other organizations. I assist
Asmara Teachers Training Institute’s English department, and the Foreign
Affairs department at the National Union of Eritrean Youth and Students
(NUEYS). On my spare time, I tutor French to students of the Alliance
Français.

Is this your first time to come to Eritrea?

No, this is my second time coming to Eritrea. I have been here once
before in 2001 for vacation with my friends. This time I came to do part
of my national service. I did not complete the military training
portion, although I visited Sawa last July when I participated in the
3rd Eri-Youth festival. That was quite an experience.

What is Eritrea to you?

Eritrea to me is 125,000 square kilometers full of brilliant minds,
natural resources, beautiful landscapes and untapped potential. Eritrea
is a culmination of cultures and traditions that originated from
centuries of exposure to varied ‘visiting’ civilizations. We have 9
ethnic groups, 10 languages, 2 main religions and all coexist in peace.
That is definitely something to be proud of.

Why did you decide to do your national service?

I decided to do my national service for several reasons. I have always
wanted to know what it was like to live in a country I claim citizenship
to. I wanted to learn more about, and contribute to my country. So, I
thought what better way to do so than to do my national service. I do
not regret my decision at all. I am very grateful for all my experiences
here.

In this information era, nationalism seems to be fading away. As a young
Eritrean, how did your nationalism remain strong?

I do not believe that nationalism is fading. If anything, I think that
it is intensifying. Young Eritreans today are finding creative ways to
express their sense of nationalism and the information mediums such as
the internet allows them to do so. There are several online forums where
Eritreans may discuss all sorts of issues (i.e. their identity, Eritrean
as well as global politics, etc…really any topic under the sun). I think
that this is a great way to ensure that Eritreans, especially young
ones, connect. It is especially handy for those that live in towns or
cities that have few, if any, Eritreans. It is a way for them to find
like-minded Eritreans, to stimulate intellectual or other conversations
with other young Eritreans, and assist those in any form of need. For
instance, you can get support for your political campaigns, academic
assignments, fundraising projects, finding employment. You can even get
moral support and any kind of advice from other Eritreans that have had
similar experiences. These forums have been very helpful for many that
subscribe to them.

Eritreans also come together by forming school clubs, professional
associations, and participating in sports or other activities. So this
era of information has not caused nationalism to fade, it just changed
the dynamics of it.

Can you briefly describe your experience in Eritrea?

My experience here in Eritrea is more than anything I expected it to be.
I expected the worst because that is all you hear abroad. You hear only
the negative and what you hear is usually exaggerated. So having
prepared myself for the worst, I found living here not challenging at
all. I overcame all that everyone said I would not be able to handle,
the poverty and all that comes with it. I also came at a time when
things were heating up with our dear neighbor Djibouti. People back home
were worried that I might not be able to handle the way of life here
because it is so different from my sheltered life in Canada. Despite the
differences in culture and way of life, I really enjoyed my time here. I
learned a lot about life, my culture, my country and my family. My
Tigrinya has improved. I saw many great projects geared toward
development that are underway in the country. I taught a lot and learned
a lot. I could not have asked for a more rewarding experience.

Do you think that young Eritreans living in the Diaspora play a role in
rebuilding Eritrea?

Definitely! I do believe that young Eritreans in the Diaspora play their
part in rebuilding Eritrea. Young Eritreans are contributing in one way
or another. They participate in YPFDJ conferences; they fundraise for
specific causes; they hold workshops/ seminars for their non-Eritrean
colleagues and invite them to help; they come to Eritrea like myself and
volunteer; they come to Eritrea to complete their Masters Thesis; they
chose the Eritrean community in the Diaspora as their topic for their
academic papers; etc… All these translate into more exposure to and for
the country; it is new discoveries, and new ideas from people that come
from different walks of life.

What challenges do you think Eritrean youth living in the Diaspora face?

I guess there isn’t enough out there to enable them come together. For
those that are of my age there is a lot out there for us (Eritrean
restaurants, Eritrean bars, Eritrean clubs, Eritrean lounges, Eritrean
professional associations, etc…) For the really young however, I don’t
believe that there is enough out there for them. Some cities are doing
really well for the younger ones, but many are neglecting them. When I
was young, we always spent our Saturdays and Sundays with other members
of the Eritrean community. On Saturday mornings, we had Tigrinya
lessons. Occasionally, in the afternoons we had a picnic or in the
evening a party (guaila). On Sundays, our parents would enroll us in
swimming lessons in the morning. In the afternoons, we were spectators
to our parents’ soccer and volleyball tournaments. I think growing up in
such an environment is where my sense of nationalism originated.

The thing is I believe that people will always have a longing or a
desire to be around other Eritreans, even if they had very limited
exposure to them from an earlier age. It is something in our nature, as
humans, to want to be around others like yourself, to know and
understand who you are. For some, this desire comes a lot later in life,
especially those that have limited exposure to their culture and people.
There needs to be more activities or institutions out there with the
sole task of inspiring this desire in the young. It is especially
important that they learn their language. Most of us abroad only speak
the language of the country in which we live in. In my case, it is
English and French. Tigrinya is rarely used at home. It is not something
any of us are proud of but it happens to be our reality. We do not know
much about our culture, country and its history. For this reason alone,
many feel discouraged to come to Eritrea. They have no way of
communicating with or understanding their families that live here. I
basically suggest more Eritrean youth friendly outlets/institutions such
as daycares, art classes (performative or other), sports clubs, academic
clubs, debating societies, etc…really any hobbies that the young may
have that can help them develop as individuals but also as Eritrean.

What message do you have for the youth living in the Diaspora?

My message would be, if it is within your means to come do your national
service, definitely come do it. You will not regret it. I do not know
anyone that has. If you cannot, you can contribute to the rebuilding of
this nation in many other capacities. Play your part. After all, it is
your country.

M. Negash
http://www.shaebia.org/artman/publish/article_5795.shtml

  <http://www.shaebia.org/artman/uploads/23_006.jpg>