[dehai-news] (infohub - UK) 12 Day Eritrea Discovery (2009/2010)

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Tue May 05 2009 - 20:18:49 EDT

12 Day Eritrea Discovery

offered by supplier M19089 (view this supplier profile)
http://www.infohub.com/travel_company/19089.html

Group Tours:
- 11 April 2009 to 22 April 2009: £2,250
- 24 October 2009 to 4 November 2009: £2,250
- 13 February 2010 to 24 February 2010: £2,250
- 10 April 2010 to 21 April 2010: £2,250.

We start and end with the charming capital Asmara, at 2,300 m pleasant
at any time of the year. You will have plenty of time to check out some
of the Italian style cafes and bars before we head north to Keren,
famous for its Monday camel market. Next we travel towards the Red Sea
Coast and the city of Massawa, a place with an engaging, exotic
character.

We explore the nearby Dahlak Islands and visit one of the best coral
sites in the world. Then back to the mainland before traveling into the
northernmost part of the Dankalia. We travel back to Asmara from where
we will enjoy an excursion through the mountains on the famous
Italian-era steam train. We finish our adventure with a trip to Qohaito
and a visit to the ancient ruins that formed part of the Kingdom of
Aksum.

Your Itinerary:

Day 1: UK to Asmara. UK to Asmara via Cairo, arriving early the next
morning.

Day 2: Arrival Asmara. Early morning arrival (04:05 am) in Asmara from
Cairo with Egypt Air. Transfer airport to your hotel, which has been
pre-booked for the previous night so you can check-in straightaway. You
then have the morning free, before taking an afternoon city tour with
our driver and guide. You will see many examples of Art Deco
architecture dating from the Italian period. Enjoy the perfect year
round climate by taking a cappuccino at one of the many outdoor cafes.
You can also be rest assured that you are in one of the cleanest and
safest cities in Africa. Overnight Ambasoira Hotel. Includes: (B).

Day 3: Asmara to Keren. Today we leave the capital by 4WD vehicle and
head north through the highlands past steep terraces of coffee and
orange groves to Keren, set on a plateau at 1392 m surrounded by dusty
ocher mountains. One of the country's most attractive towns, Keren is
also the heart of Eritrea's agricultural community. Visits include
Keren’s popular markets, including one for livestock and camels, which
attracts traders from a wide area. Overnight Sarina Hotel. Includes:
(B), (L).

Day 4: Keren. A full day to explore Keren with your guide and 4WD
vehicle. Visits include the shrine of St. Mariam D’Arit, unusually set
into a baobab tree. Overnight Sarina Hotel. Includes: (B), (L).

Day 5: Keren to Massawa. We continue from Keren to the Red Sea Coast and
the city of Massawa. Our leisurely drive will take us through Filfil,
home to Eritrea’s last remnant of tropical forest. It forms part of the
Semenawai Bahri or "Green Belt" area and, amid the arid starkness of the
surrounding landscape, rises up oasis-like before you, cool, lush and
verdant. It is also one of the best places in the country to see birds
and mammals. There is a good chance of spotting vervet monkeys and
hamadryas. We will arrive at our destination, Massawa by lunchtime.

In the afternoon join us on a tour of the city. Stroll among the many
white Turkish, Egyptian and Italian buildings and through the maze of
narrow alleyways to soak up the atmosphere and maybe sample some the
mouth-watering seafood available. Overnight Red Sea Hotel. Includes:
(B), (L).

Day 6: Day Excursion to Buri Peninsula. Travel south by 4WD to the start
of the Dankalia. You will get a good insight into one of the remotest
places on earth and see some of the salt flats that make up the
Peninsula. Overnight Red Sea Hotel. Includes: (B), (L).

Day 7: Excursion to Green Island. By boat we visit Green Island, one
mile off the coast of Massawa and part of the stunning Dahlak
archipelago. Return to Massawa in the afternoon, where our driver and
4WD vehicle will be waiting to take you the two drive back to Asmara.
Overnight Ambasoira Hotel. Includes: (B), (L).

Day 8: Free day in Asmara. A free day to explore the city and admire
some of Asmara’s stunning Art Deco architecture, a legacy of the
country’s Italian colonial period. Overnight Ambasoira Hotel. Includes:
(B).

Day 9: Steam Train Excursion. Today we have arranged a morning excursion
on Eritrea's famous Italian-era steam train through the mountains and
back to Asmara. This journey is considered to be one of the greatest
rail journeys in Africa and will be enjoyed by those who are not even
train enthusiasts. Arrival back in Asmara will be about lunch time and
the afternoon will be free for you to relax and enjoy the city. Please
note the railway company operates the train subject to a minimum of 10
passengers, including those from Undiscovered Destinations. In the event
that the train does not operate an alternative excursion will be
arranged locally. Overnight Ambasoira Hotel. Includes: (B).

Day 10: Day Excursion to Qohaito. We visit Qohaito to see its ruins
including the large Safra Dam and the palace of King Saba. At 2,700 m
the setting is wonderful, with sharp descents and views towards Mount
Ambasoira (3,013) the highest peak in Eritrea and views out towards the
Red Sea. Overnight Ambasoira Hotel. Includes: (B), (L).

Day 11: Free Day Asmara. Your last day in Eritrea and time to reflect on
what will have been an enjoyable and rewarding introduction to this
little visited country. With so much to offer visitors you will be
surprised that you have not come across more tourists. Be sure not to
miss Asmara’s amazing "recycling market", basically an overgrown scrap
yard where old metal scrap is turned into wheelbarrows, garden
implements, stoves and lanterns.
Overnight Ambasoira Hotel. Includes: (B).

Day 12: Asmara to London. A very early morning transfer from the hotel
to the airport for your departure. Traveling via Cairo, you arrive back
in London Heathrow the same day.

Group Tours:
- 11 April 2009 to 22 April 2009: £2,250
- 24 October 2009 to 4 November 2009: £2,250
- 13 February 2010 to 24 February 2010: £2,250
- 10 April 2010 to 21 April 2010: £2,250.
Notes:
Airfare is not included in the tour price.

Price Includes:
- All hotel accommodation, based on twin share, with private facilities
- Daily breakfast and some lunches as shown (B=breakfast, L=lunch)
- All transport as shown on a private basis, i.e. 4WD/Minibus
- Sightseeing and Tours as shown in the itinerary
- Dahlak Islands (Green Island) day excursion by private boat
- Steam Train Excursion if enough numbers on group
- English speaking Guide/Driver, including an additional Tour Leader
with 7 or more clients.

Price Excludes:
- Airport taxes payable locally
- Drinks
- Eritrean Visa
- Travel insurance
- Optional single supplement: £150.

Note: On our group tours, there is no single supplement, we will match
you with a roommate of the same gender. Our policy is to avoid
supplements unless requested by you.

http://www.infohub.com/vacation_packages/22993.html