[dehai-news] (Shaebia) Coming back to Eritrea was the best thing that ever happened to me, Rahel Weldeab

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Thu Apr 30 2009 - 03:20:40 EDT

M. Negash, Apr 30, 2009

Could you tell us something about yourself?

My name is Rahel Weldeab and I work in the Foreign Affairs Department at
the National Union of Eritrean Youth and Students (NUEYS) Central
Office. I am also member of the NUEYS Central Council. I've been a staff
member of NUEYS for about six years and a core member for a couple of
years. My educational background includes having a Bachelors Degree in
Public Administration (minor in political sciences), which I received
from the University of Asmara.

When did you come to Eritrea?

I came to Eritrea, with my family, in September 1998.

Was it your or/and your family decision to come to Eritrea?

It was my family's decision to come back (my whole family moved back),
although I have to admit that I was quite enthusiastic about it. I
thought that it would be a great adventure to come back to my country of
origin. While growing up, my relatives were always telling me about
Eritrea; since I was young, my intuition had always told me that I would
was very hard in the beginning, but after doing my military service, my
whole outlook on life changed and now I think that coming back to
Eritrea was the best thing that ever happened to me.

What is your driving force towards being active person on national
affairs?

It is true that with the advancement of information communication
technology, people can communicate easily with other people from
different countries, cultural backgrounds and ideological ways of
thinking. This in turn can develop into an idea that nationalism is
over-rated; fading away and that we now live in a world without borders.
Those who agree with such a concept are often people who do not feel an
intimate connection with their country, identity and history. This is
simply not the case for me as I cherish these things very much. In other
words, I feel blessed to claim citizenship, as well as a history and
identity that I am most certainly proud of. Moreover, my nationalistic
feelings define the values and principles I believe in, the decisions I
make on a daily basis and how I want to shape my future. As a result, I
think that nationalism could not fade away; on the contrary, nationalism
is a way of life.

You grew up in a different culture; are there any challenges you face in
your daily life here?

I tend to be more independent and determined than the culture allows for
women. This is the main challenge I face in my daily career-that I would
be discriminated against or that I would intimidate people because of my
gender. The way I see it, despite such a challenge and in lieu of people
judging me unfairly, as a young Eritrean woman I have to acknowledge a
special responsibility. It is important that young Eritrean women stay
motivated and advance themselves because they have a pledge to uphold
for the sacrifices women had made to bring independence and defend the
country's sovereignty. We have so many more opportunities and rights
than our mothers and grandmothers did because of such sacrifices.

Despite growing up in a different culture, being in my own culture has
had plenty of advantages and it's been an amazing learning experience. I
have a very high appreciation for the cultures of all the nine ethnic
groups in Eritrea and the principles and values that make them a united
people. I've visited almost all the cities and towns of Eritrea. Through
my studies and work experience, I've gained extensive knowledge on
Eritrean development policies. Moreover, due to national service and
various field works, I am able to resist harsh weather and living
conditions. Ahead of a certain ethnic group, religion or gender, I
consider myself Eritrean. I am grateful that I am able to claim such a
beautiful culture and heritage.

Can you describe your experience in Eritrea vs. that of the Diaspora?

When I used to be part of the Eritrean Diaspora, I had always known that
I was Eritrean. Still, there were only a few occasions that I could
fully express or feel Eritrean, like during independence celebrations
and when I used to bring Eritrean artifacts to school for 'show and
tell.' Coming back to Eritrea and especially after completing both
military and national service, there is nothing anybody could say that
would make me doubt my identity or my Eritrean citizenship. In the
United States, I was always an immigrant. In Eritrea, I am a full
citizen with the right to play a pivotal role in my country's affairs.
Being an ardent believer in public service and volunteerism, I feel a
huge responsibility when it comes to how I can contribute to the
development of my country-something I don't think I would have ever felt
in the United States. As an Eritrean living in Eritrea vs. in the
Diaspora, I have plenty of opportunities to serve my country even after
I've completed national service. In turn, this has given much meaning to
my life.

What are the major activities of NUEYS's foreign department?

The NUEYS Foreign Affairs Department works in two major areas:
activities related to Eritrean youth in the Diaspora and relations with
other youth around the world. With the latter, we ensure our
participation in international youth unions, the global youth movement
in general, and we have bilateral relations with youth from other
countries. When it comes to working with/for Eritrean youth in the
Diaspora, we conduct many activities, especially during the summer when
many of them come to Eritrea for vacation. Besides, the bi-annual
national youth festival (the Eri-Youth Festival held in Sawa), every
year the Foreign Affairs Department organizes the Zura Hagerka (Know
Your Country) tour program. NUEYS also has external branches and we
coordinate activities and share information with them. Whether for
Eritreans in the Diaspora or young foreigners, the FA Department also
facilitates for youth to volunteer, do research, and conduct national
service in Eritrea.

Do you have the real situation in SWOT analysis form of Eritrean youth
in the Diaspora?

We have conducted situation analyses when it comes to our branches
abroad and Eritrean youth in the Diaspora in general. Still, it is
difficult to conduct a SWOT analysis on their situation because 1)
Eritreans in the Diaspora live all over the world, in different
socio-economic situations; and 2) their environment can be quite
different from that of Eritrea.

A major strength of Eritrean youth in the Diaspora, especially as
witnessed in the past several years, is the degree of nationalism felt
among them. An example of such nationalism is their participation in the
Eri-Youth Festival-each time, the number of participants from the
Diaspora increases. Although their nationalism is considered strength,
their weakness is identifying opportunities to participate in their
country's affairs. They don't necessarily have to come to Eritrea and do
national service-although it is a perfect way to not only contribute to
Eritrea's development but also to learn more about their identity,
culture and history. Being active in their communities and advocating
for Eritrean issues is also a viable way of actively participating in
Eritrean affairs. Although this might be a weakness, we have witnessed
an increase of young Eritreans from the Diaspora coming to Eritrea to
volunteer and /or do national service; there are also many who are very
active in the Eritrean communities abroad. There are many opportunities
to be realized when it comes to Eritrean youth in the Diaspora. By
educating themselves and becoming familiar with their home country, they
can play a major role in the development of Eritrea. A threat would be
the lost of Eritrean identity among the youth in the Diaspora. The
Eritrean community has a major responsibility in ensuring that the youth
do not loose their sense of Eritrean identity. The NUEYS Foreign Affairs
Department is also working hard so that this doesn't happen.

How do you evaluate the impact of the activities?

Our activities have had a great impact, especially with the Eritrean
youth in the Diaspora. After participating in the 3rd Eri-Youth Festival
and the Zura Hagerka tour program this past summer, there are many youth
still talking about their experience and planning their next trip back
to Eritrea. Honestly, we weren't anticipating such a huge, positive
impact. I know of youth who are seriously considering moving permanently
to Eritrea. I don't blame them; besides having constructive experiences
this past summer, just being able to witness the charm of Eritrea and
her people is enough to motivate anyone to move back and become vital
actors in their country's development.

Could you please tell us of the future programs of your department?

The Foreign Affairs Department of NUEYS is willing to include and
increase any activity that will motivate young Eritreans to come back to
their country and contribute in any development initiative. The
department is also working vigilantly to have a positive impact on the
region, especially in the Horn of Africa. This past summer had also
witnessed the Regional Youth Peace Forum where Horn of Africa youth came
to Asmara to discuss peace and sustainable development for the region.
This forum saw the establishment of the Horn of Africa Youth Initiative
(HAYI), which is a network for youth organizations of the Horn to come
together and play their role in peacebuilding as well as in the
development of the region.

What do you think is the role of Eritrean youth in the Diaspora in
nation building endeavors?

First and foremost, the youth have to educate themselves. Once they've
equipped themselves with an education, they should come back to Eritrea
to practically use their knowledge towards the development of their
country. How they contribute to nation building processes would depend
on what field they've completed their studies in. Since Eritrea as many
untapped resources, opportunities and potential, I cannot imagine any
profession that could not be highly appreciated in our country.

If there is any, what do you think is the main hindrance Eritrean youth
in the Diaspora face not to participate in their national activities?

The main hindrance for their participation would be if they lack the
feeling of Eritrean identity or nationalism. As I've mentioned, the
general Eritrean community has a major role to play when ensuring that
their children and youth know about their Eritrean identity. Eritrean
communities should encourage the participation of the youth in all
activities and include them in planning, organizing, implementation, and
decision making processes. By actively participating in their community
affairs abroad, the youth will be more equipped to contribute to
national activities in their country of origin.

Parents have an important role to play when it comes to having their
children identify themselves with Eritrea. Parents should take time to
teach their children their mother tongue. They should teach their
children about Eritrean culture, heritage and history. Moreover, parents
should encourage their children to visit Eritrea and see things for them
selves, not only to witness all the development taking place but also so
that they know their family and roots here in Eritrea.

What is your message to the Eritrean youth in the Diaspora?

Go ahead and take the initiative to learn more about your country by
coming to Eritrea to do either national service or volunteer work with
NUEYS. Although it takes a village to raise a child, it takes personal
aspiration, motivation and commitment for you to get to know and develop
yourself. Knowing your country, culture, heritage and history is
essential to learning more about yourself and how you'd like to shape
your future.

What is Eritrea or Eritrean-ism to you?

Eritrea for me is a beautiful country made up of very beautiful and
determined people. Eritrea is a country of great potential. Eritrea is
my home. Eritrea is the core of my pride and existence; I wouldn't be
who I am today if it weren't for my country. I am a very proud Eritrean
and I remember everyday the sacrifices that has brought us to this
point. Driven by the fact that so many have died for freedom,
Eritrean-ism to me means taking on the full responsibility so that the
sacrifices of our martyrs would never be in vain.

Any thing you want to add?

In upholding the legacy of our martyrs, it is important to take on the
responsibility of supporting their children. Accordingly, not just
because it is an honorable and noble thing to do, but also to keep us
reminded of the legacy we have towards our beloved martyrs, it is
important to contribute in any way you can to the martyrs/fallen heroes
trust fund.

http://www.shaebia.org/artman/publish/article_5791.shtml

  <http://www.shaebia.org/images/logo_bg3.jpg>

logo_bg3.jpg