[dehai-news] (LM) Zersenay Tadese of Eritrea admits to debut nerves

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Fri Apr 24 2009 - 22:37:39 EDT

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Tadese admits to debut nerves

Zersenay Tadese admits to feeling nervous before he makes his
much-anticipated marathon debut in London on Sunday (26 April).

Tadese is a double world half marathon champion and became a national
hero when he won the Olympic 10,000m bronze medal in Athens in 2004, the
first Olympic medal for Eritrea in any sport. He also won the World
Cross Country Championships in 2007 beating the great Ethiopian Kenenisa
Bekele in the blistering heat of Mombasa.

But at 09.45 on Sunday when he sets off from the start line of the Flora
London Marathon in Greenwich he knows he'll be dipping his toes in
uncharted waters. "I really don't know how I'll feel," he says. "I am
running the marathon for the first time, so yes, I am a bit nervous.

"But I am happy with my preparation. I have trained well and we'll see
how I do. I will try my best."

With a best half marathon time of 58:59, much is expected of Tadese's
first outing over the full marathon distance. Indeed, some have
described him as "one of the most exciting debutants on the marathon
scene for many years".

Known as a fierce racer, he can certainly be expected to track the big
race favourites such as the three-time London champion Martin Lel, the
Olympic champion Sammy Wanjiru and the Olympic silver and bronze
medallists, Jaouad Gharib of Morocco and Tsegaye Kebede of Ethiopia.

With the pacemakers taking them to 20 miles at world record pace, it
will certainly be a baptism of fire for the Eritrean. "This is a fast
pace but for me, it's my first time so I really don't know what to
expect," he says. "I am used to the 10,000m and half marathon so we will
see how I feel. It will be a big change but I have been training hard,
doing a lot of miles, so I am prepared."

Indeed, Tadese admits to having "a plan", although he declines to reveal
any details. The fastest ever debut marathon stands at 2:05:50 run by
the Kenyan Evans Rutto in Chicago in 2003 and Tadese hints that he has
that record in mind.

"I want to run fast but I think we will see on Sunday," he says. "I hope
to run around 2:05:00 to 2:06:00, but we will see."

As a former national road cycling champion, he is no stranger to racing
over long miles and hard work, and he's been picking up marathon advice
from his compatriot Yonas Kifle, the Eritrean record holder who was
seventh in London last year.

The only blip in his preparation, he suggests, came just after the World
Cross Country Championships in Jordan at the end of March where he came
third, turning out for his country to boost an otherwise weakened team.
Afterwards, he caught a virus and was sick for three or four days.

"All the athletes had it," he says. "Now I'm OK though and in good
condition again. If I hadn't gone to run there would have been no
problem but it will be OK."

Tadese has almost single-handedly driven athletics up the popularity
ratings in Eritrea, and the sport is now topped only by football (Tadese
is an Arsenal fan). If he wins on Sunday, it could spark something like
a World Cup celebration in South America.

"Even now they are all waiting for Sunday to see the race on TV," he
says. "If I win there will be big celebrations with many people, even
children will be at the airport for me."

Good reason to conquer those first-race nerves then.

http://www.london-marathon.co.uk/site/?pageID=5
<http://www.london-marathon.co.uk/site/?pageID=5&n=164> &n=164

 Zersenay Tadese
<http://www.london-marathon.co.uk/site/images/tadese01.jpg>