(TheMountaineer, North Carolina) Make new friends, experience the Eritrean culture this weekend

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2016 15:57:27 -0400

http://themountaineer.villagesoup.com/p/make-new-friends-experience-the-eritrean-culture-this-weekend/1590549

Out and About

Make new friends, experience the Eritrean culture this weekend

By Kyle Perotti | Nov 02, 2016

When I tell people here that I moved to Maggie Valley from New York,
they usually say something like, “Wow, that must be a real culture
shock!”

They’re not wrong. As I said in my previous column, I was itching to
leave Manhattan — the rotten core of the Big Apple — but I didn’t
quite expect what I found here in Western North Carolina to be so
unique.

All my life, I’ve enjoyed seeing what other cultures have to offer me.
I think it’s the chief factor that led me to enlisting in the Navy. It
wasn’t the cheesy “Accelerate Your Life” slogan or even the decent
enlistment bonus that made me want to live on a ship — it was the
chance to see the world. While I didn’t get to experience as much as I
would have liked, I did see some of the Caribbean, Greece (although in
all fairness, shortly into the port call, we were quarantined to the
pier after another American sailor was diagnosed with Swine Flu) and
much of East Africa.

Since moving to Haywood County, I’ve made it a priority to explore the
local scene to the fullest — I’ve eaten (probably far too much,
according to my waistline) barbecue; I’ve drunk North Carolina
moonshine and Boojum beer; I’ve listened to bluegrass on Main Street
and … well, you get the point. But I think it doesn’t have to stop
there.

As a community, we should value those who bring their own flavor to
this unique part of the world. That’s why I’m excited to experience
Folkmoot’s Eritrea Friendship Dinner, an event which promises an
abundance of good food, music and dancing.

The event, hosted by Metkel and Michael Tecle, a pair of local
Eritrean brothers, will feature various meats, vegetables and breads,
along with Eritrean coffee and tea. Additionally, the Tecles will
offer attendees the chance to learn a traditional Eritrean dance.

The Eritrean Friendship dinner is the latest in what has become a
great tradition for Folkmoot. These dinners bring the community
together to better understand cultures, which although so far from
what we know and love, are vibrant and have much to offer.

Tickets for the event can be ahead of the event for $20 per adult and
$10 per kid by visiting Folkmoot’s website or calling 828-452-2997, or
at the door for $28 per adult and $10 per kid. The Friendship Dinner
begins at 6 p.m. on Saturday, and will wrap up around 8 p.m. at the
Folkmoot Friendship Center in Waynesville.

Join me this weekend! I'll be there with my camera in hand.