(News24) Ethiopia denies Somalia troop withdrawals linked to unrest at home

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 10:46:47 -0400

http://www.news24.com/Africa/News/ethiopia-denies-somalia-troop-withdrawals-linked-to-unrest-at-home-20161026-2

Ethiopia denies Somalia troop withdrawals linked to unrest at home

2016-10-27 07:50

File: AFP

Addis Ababa - Ethiopia on Wednesday denied that a string of
withdrawals of troops from towns in Somalia were connected to the
state of emergency declared in response to nearly a year of
anti-government protests.

Government spokesperson Getachew Reda insisted the removal of troops
from a string of Somali towns -including at least three since Ethiopia
declared a six-month state of emergency on October 9 - was to do with
the "financial burden" and "lack of support" rather than the need for
more troops at home.

"It has nothing to do with the state of emergency," Reda told a press
conference in the capital Addis Ababa.

"We have been making a very conscious and responsible decision to
evacuate our forces from many parts of Somalia. We cannot remain there
indefinitely."

Reda said the domestic challenge represented by the unprecedented
months of sometimes deadly anti-government protests was not "enormous
enough for us to shift our policy in Somalia".

Fate

Ethiopian troops deployed to fight Shabaab militants in Somalia have
left towns in the western Bakool and Hiraan regions in recent weeks,
allowing the insurgents to immediately reclaim them.

Most recently, Tiyeeglow in Bakool region was abandoned on Wednesday
and hours later Shabaab fighters moved in.

"We were informed about the pullout of the Ethiopian troops and this
morning they have proceeded with their plan to vacate the town," said
Abdulahi Moalim Hassan, a security official in Hudur, the nearby
district capital.

"We are not sure about the fate of Hudur as well," he added. "People
are worried and they are not relying on the Ethiopian troops anymore."

Reda said the withdrawn troops were not from Ethiopia's 4 400-strong
contingent of the internationally-funded African Union
peace-enforcement mission, Amisom, but rather were some of the "few
thousands" deployed in Somalia unilaterally for which his government
is "paying all the expenses".

"These troops are not under Amisom and unfortunately are not being
helped in their efforts to assist the Somali national army," said
Reda.

He said Amisom troops were not affected and neither were all
non-Amisom forces being withdrawn.