10 Young Girls From 'Jungle' Migrant Camp Found Homes In Hertfordshire

From: Semere Asmelash <semereasmelash_at_ymail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 18:50:12 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.bobfm.co.uk/news/local-news/10-young-girls-from-jungle-migrant-camp-found-homes-in-hertfordshire/

10 Young Girls From 'Jungle' Migrant Camp Found Homes In Hertfordshire

Tuesday, October 25th, 2016 6:20am

Ten children from the migrant camp at Calais have been found homes in Hertfordshire...

The unaccompanied girls from Ethiopia and Eritrea were placed with foster carers across the county on Sunday.

It comes as demolition work is due to start on part of the so-called 'Jungle' later.

Around 2,000 people were moved out on Monday, with any taken on buses to immigration centres around France.

The girls arrived in the UK under the "Dubs amendment" rules, which allow vulnerable children refuge in Britain.

Richard Roberts, Cabinet Member for Children's Services, told BOB fm: "I'd like to express my sincere thanks to our foster carers and staff, who were on standby all night.

They showed real compassion, kindness and commitment in what were very trying circumstances".

Liz Needham is a volunteer with the organisation St Albans 4 Refugees and has recently returned from a mission delivering food and clothes to the camp in Calais.

Liz has been speaking to people there about the latest developments and said: "Some people in the camp are anticipating that it will be a good thing because they hope this will mean they will be processed properly, which hasn't happened until now.

Other people are just very wary of being put into new centres of accommodation, where they don't know if they will have any freedom".