: Q & A-Expertise, Books and Remedy

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam59_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 15:09:42 +0200

Expertise, Books and Remedy

Wednesday, 12 October 2016 01:19 |

On today’s Q&A we present you a dialogue we had with Physician Goitom Tsegai, who has been serving communities in some regional hospitals and is an author for several health related books. Goitom, born in 1983 and raised in Asmara has been able to publish three different books which he believes have great impact on enhancing the knowledge of a society relating to different internal diseases.

Q: Regions you have worked at?

I have worked in the Northern Red Sea region, more specifically at Afabet Central Hospital for a about year. Now I am currently working in Halibet Hospital in Asmara City.

Q: How would you describe working in Afabet?

It is a place where you enjoy everything. Starting from the hospitality of the people, their lifestyles, simply I found it very interesting. The best part of it for me was that I had the chance to study the Tigre language. It is a good opportunity to get a chance of working away from a place you grew up.

Q: Your initiation to write medical books

Preparing books that dealt about general health and medical treatments was a sudden pop up idea. I have been working in Halibet Hospital in the Outpatient Department (OPD) for many years. The patients who come to the OPD look for medical support. But if you consider what we face, patients visit our section when they are at their sever condition. As per their condition, they don’t get instant medical assistance and hence they develop additional diseases. From what I observed, I decided to come up with something that can improve the knowledge of internal diseases on our communities. Due to that, I was able to publish a book on different kinds of diseases, their symptoms, causes, ways of transmissions, medical cares, precautions, treatments aligned with photographs.

Q: You had the hobby of writing before?

Honestly speaking, I never had. But as I told you, I was inspired by patients.

Q: Let’s talk about your first book…

It was entitled “Internal Disease and Medical Treatments”, Part one. It discusses around 40 different kinds of internal diseases: their symptoms, causes, medical exams and treatments. It was published and distributed to the public at the end of 2013.

Q: Its foremost goal…

It has two focal aims, number one is to raise awareness on the different health problems that mostly influence on the society. Again, since the book is prepared in mother tongue, it is easier and a huge relief for medical students and newly employed medical workers. I prepared it with explanatory photographs to make people simply understand it.

Q: About the next books…

Similarly, I have published another two new books in previous month. Part two of the first book basically is alike to it but mostly deals on diseases that require medical surgery and epidemic diseases like Ibola and cholera, and the other book is on “Diabetes and High Blood Pressure.”

Q: Why focus on surgery require diseases?

Interesting question! There are a lot of ailments that need to be operated real fast. If the awareness is raised in the society, we could avoid the unnecessary additional ones. For instance Appendix, it is one of those which needs immediate surgery. A person should recognize the symptoms and get a quick treatment as it can get to extremely dangerous condition inside. That is why I mainly focused on such topics on part two.

Q: A little about your “Diabetes and High Blood Pressure” book…

As we all know, those are some of the main diseases that are causing health problems in our community, all over the world. Many people who has this disease are living a good life just like those who don’t have it. The regular medical check-ups they make and their consistent personal caring, starting from the food they consume to the regular medications. If patients fail to do that, their health condition gets worse to a stage where they will need more medical support continuously. I think providing different seminars and organizing lectures on those kinds of diseases is an important task since it is a way to control them and create awareness in the public.

Q: Experiences you want to share from patients?

Absolutely. A doctor’s teachers are his patients. If there is no patient who is the doctor to cure? And constantly put experiments on. As a result you get every experience from every patient. If you listen a patient closely, he gets cured and most of all you get conscious.

Q: How do you manage your time?

These kind of career are not like some other jobs, it is something that deals with your inner instinct. Since, publishing the medical books is complying with the graduating vow; it is an honor for me. I am able to manage my time as convenient as it should be. But I would like to stress that my wife and kids have a huge part in this. I would like to thank them.

Q: Any plans to present books other than native languages?

Yes I do. I am now a little bit able on Tigre language that I learned in Afabet. A little aid from someone, I am planning to present some books in other languages.

Q: You seem rather late to distribute your books in other regions…

Yes, you are right. I haven’t distributed them yet. But it’s more of like publishing problems for me. It is really hard to distribute books to all over the country. For the time being, my books are now only available in stores in Asmara, but with time, I am planning to do that. I would like to remind to concerned party that it would be great to assist those who are personally contributing their expertise to their community.

Q: Future plans?

I have completed a book on orthopedics. It is now on proof reading process. Hopefully I wish it would be at the hands of readers On today’s Q&A we present you a dialogue we had with Physician Goitom Tsegai, who has been serving communities in some regional hospitals and is an author for several health related books. Goitom, born in 1983 and raised in Asmara has been able to publish three different books which he believes have great impact on enhancing the knowledge of a society relating to different internal diseases.
next year.

Q: Closing remarks…

I hope that my books would contribute in creating awareness in the public.

Thank you, we wish you good luck!

Thanks for the opportunity.