Joint SACP-COSATU statement on the 25th Eritrean National Independence Day

From: Semere Asmelash <semereasmelash_at_ymail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 17:25:03 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.cosatu.org.za/show.php?ID=11667

Joint SACP-COSATU statement on the 25th Eritrean National Independence Day

The Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) and the South African Communist Party (SACP) salute the People’s Front for Democracy and Justice (PFDJ) and the resilient people of Eritrea on the special occasion of the 25th Silver Jubilee Independence Commemoration.

This significant, 25th Eritrean National Independence Day on 24 May 2016 marks the heroic victory of the Eritrean people for their independence.

The day marks a day for Eritrea to remember the heroes of their struggle for independence and reaffirm the independence of Africa from colonialism and imperialism.

The Eritreans perseverance and resilience is well-acknowledged around the world. The Eritrean people waged the longest liberation war for self-determination from 1961 to 1991. We salute the exceptional role women played in the history, resistance and development of Eritrea.

Since its independence in 1991, Eritrea has continued to showcase their unrelenting spirit and courage in the efforts of its people to build a better society. The neo-colonial and imperialist hand has tried to destabilise and break the resilience of the Eritrean people without a success. The story of the Eritrean people’s victory, resilience and anti- imperialism is a story for all Africans.

We salute the Eritrean people for their role building a stronger and independent African Union. They have hosted a number of Pan-African events, such as the Organisation of African Trade Union Unity (OATUU) Executive Council and the World Federation of Democratic Youth (WFDY) African Executive Committee.

The victory of the people of Eritrea remains an inspiration for all those who are still struggling against occupation and imperialism. As we celebrate this significant day in your history and calendar, we remember the people of Palestine, Western Sahara, Basque, Brazil and Venezuela, who are fighting for their independence and also defending their countries from imperialist meddling.

The PFDJ is valiantly leading the reconstruction efforts of Eritrea’s war-ravaged economy independent of foreign monopoly control. We are inspired by their commitment to peace, hard work and economic self-determination.

Long live Eritrea!

Long live PFDJ

Sizwe Pamla (National Spokesperson)
Congress of South African Trade Unions
110 Jorissen Cnr Simmonds Street
Braamfontein
2017

P.O.Box 1019
Johannesburg
2000
South Africa

Tel: +27 11 339-4911 Direct 010 219-1339
Mobile: 060 975 6794
E-Mail: sizwe_at_cosatu.org.za