MEP Hayes Visits Irish Partnerships in Eritrea

From: Semere Asmelash <semereasmelash_at_ymail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 19:52:18 +0000 (UTC)

https://brianhayesdublin.wordpress.com/2016/05/15/mep-hayes-visits-irish-partnerships-in-eritrea/

MEP Hayes Visits Irish Partnerships in Eritrea

MAY 15, 2016 7:00 AM /

MEP Hayes Visits Irish Partnerships in Eritrea

Dublin MEP and Member of the European Parliaments Development Committee, Brian Hayes is today (Sunday) visiting Eritrea, where Irish Aid, Teagasc and Irish development partner VITA have created a number of agricultural partnerships. MEP Hayes is being accompanied by Larry O Loughlin, Teagasc, John Weakliam, CEO of VITA and Ray Jordan, CEO of Gorta SHA. Together they will visit a number of partnership programs that have been funded by Ireland. MEP Hayes will also visit a number of EU funded programmes and meet a member of the Eritrean government and officials.

“When it comes to agriculture we have so much expertise and experience in Ireland. What Irish Aid, Teagasc and VITA are achieving in Eritrea is evidence of this as well as an example of what a small country like Ireland can do to support developing countries. Their programmes such as the dairy and potato projects use Irish agricultural skills to teach and support Eritrean farmers, making them commercially viable. This practical assistance is valuable to so many Eritrean families.”

“Over the past 5 years Ireland has committed over a million euro to projects in Eritrea. Over 20,000 Eritrean families have been directly helped. It is great to get the opportunity to visit Eritrea and see first-hand these programmes in action. I believe that enabling sustainable livelihoods is a critical factor in determining Eritrea’s future.”

“As a member of the European Parliament’s Development Committee, the visit to Eritrea is also a good opportunity to view EU funded projects and meet EU officials working in the country. I look forward to reporting back to the Development Committee in the European Parliament,” concluded MEP Hayes