FWD: Remembering Professor Amdetsion Kidane by Haile Bokure

From: Dehai <dehaihager_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 20:34:18 -0400

Date: Sunday, 08 May 2016

***Remembering Professor Amdetsion Kidane*

*Professor Amdetsion was among those highly educated Eritreans of the
post-war period. He was a Professor of Statistics at Howard University,
one of the historic institutions that cultivated outstanding
African-Americans like Ambassador Andrew Young including some Africans
who were a driving forces in inspiring and liberating their people from
colonial rule.*

*
Professor Amdetsion as I knew him then, was an ardent, humble and
prolific scholar. He was a frequent contributor in Dehai forum and other
Eritrean websites. As a decent man-of-letters, he reviewed my book:
“Antigone” by Sophocles both in English and Tigrigna languages. I am
very grateful to him for encouraging me to keep writing in this
fast-moving society we live in. For all this, I didn’t see him in
person, but we had occasional conversations on the phone.*

*
Professor Amdetsion was the author of two books one being “Tragedy and
Sorrow” pertaining to the event of September 11. The slim book covers a
very painful and memorable poems written by the families and friends of
those innocent Americans who lost their precious lives in man-made
inferno. The other book is in Tigrigna “**እኹል****መለበሚ**” explaining the
impact of succeeding foreign domination on a typical Eritrean woman who
ended up in exile with her entire family.*

*
Of course, a cessation of life is a common denominator that we, mortals
could not have a dominion over its divine entity. But his literary opus,
and contributions in the Eritrean mass organization during the struggle
years would endure for ever.*

**

*May he rest in peace.*

*Following is one of the poems composed by Professor Amdetsionin a
memoirof those poor souls who lost their lives in the aftermath ofuntold
human crime:-*

*
*

*“Why Does Man Inflict Hurt?”*

**

**

*The question “why”*

*Has lingered in my mind,*

*Why since time immemorial*

*Man has been unkind to a fellow man*

*As Cain was to his brother Abel?*

*Philosophers of the world*

*Enlighten me*

*With convincing explanation*

*Why man concocts evil act*

*On a fellow being so senselessly*

*As happened so recently.*

*The questions are still lingering in my mind*

*Tormenting me inside searching for an answer*

*Why man kills his fellow being?*

*And inflict sorrow on the bereaved?*

*By robbing him/her of earthly possessions?*

*And leaving him/her great hardship*

*I know for sure*

*Killing will not help him live longer*

*As the years he dispossessed others do not belong to him*

*Robbing other will not make him richer either*

*And smearing a fellow being’s personality*

*Will not add to his dignity?*

*Wise men of the world,*

*Greeks, Romans, Chinese and Hindus,*

*And of other nationalities wherever you may be*

*Explain to me with convincing philosophy*

*Why man hates, deprives and kills*

*Denying the right of his fellow being to live*

*Enlighten me with your proven wisdom*

*Why evil triumphs and becomes the norm.*

**

**

*Source:- Kidane, Amdetsion (2002). Tragedy and Sorrow. Page 22-23.*

**

**

*Haile Bokure*