AfricaReview.com: 'Corruption in Kenya' documentary airs in US homes

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 19:15:56 +0200

'Corruption in Kenya' documentary airs in US homes

Corruption in Kenya has caught the attention of a major US public broadcaster, PBS, which aired a 10 mini-documentary series titled; How widespread corruption is hurting Kenya, at prime time on Monday night.

PBS is the most prominent provider of television programmes to public television stations in the US and its programmes are transmitted to tens of millions of homes every day.

The documentary is part of a mini-series; Inside Kenya, and tells of how ubiquitous grand graft has become.

Many of the interviewees painted a grim picture, even claiming that it is, more than ever before, threatening the future generations.

World Bank

Narrated by Nick Schiprin, a former foreign correspondent with Aljazeera Television Network, the mini-feature states in the preamble that although the World Bank has listed Kenya as the fastest growing country in sub-Sahara Africa, graft is a major impediment to its prosperity.

While examining the reality of the vice, the report looks at how prevalent it has become from the lowest levels to the high and mighty in the society.

It opens with an athlete, identified as Hillary Kiplimo, who tells of how his $3,500 winnings vanished with officials of Athletics Kenya, the body charged with the responsibility of promoting prospective professional athletes, leaving his future dreams shattered.

Were forged

The Eurobond saga also features in the story, with former Finance ministry employee Alex Owino claiming that documents were forged to hoodwink the public.

'The corruption we have now poses an existential risk to Kenya. Before, we stole from ourselves. Now, with the Eurobond, we are mortgaging the futures of our children," says John Githongo, a former permanent secretary and the Kenyan government and an anti-graft tsar,

"Corruption in this country starts from the presidency to the judiciary to the legislature. So, all arms of the government are rotten," says activist Boniface Mwangi, one of the interviewees.

The crime

"It’s almost brazen. If you look at it, it’s almost like a smash-and-grab heist," says Mr Owino.

Daniel Mwirigi, who says he investigated graft at Post Bank tells how dangerous it is to volunteer information in Kenya.

He says when reported the crime, his bosses colluded to frame him with the very crimes he had exposed.

The perception

"My parents died thinking that I am a thief. There’s no point of doing a good job in this country, the future generations are doomed," laments a bitter Mwirigi.

The documentary is made in partnership with the Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting, and is produced by Zach Fannin.

While some of the issues tackled are not new to many Kenyans, the vast reach of PBS clientele will most likely affect the perception of many prospective tourists from North America, who the Kenyan government has been wooing aggressively in recent days.