Norway's statement during interactive dialogue with the Commission of Inquiry on Eritrea

From: Semere Asmelash <semereasmelash_at_ymail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 17:14:31 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.norway-geneva.org/Humanrights/Statements/Norways-statements-during-the-32nd-session-of-the-Human-Rights-Council-/Item-4-Human-rights-situations-that-require-the-Councils-attention/Norways-statement-during-interactive-dialogue-with-the-Commission-of-Inquiry-on-Eritrea-/#.V2rGftSLRkg

Norway's statement during interactive dialogue with the Commission of Inquiry on Eritrea

Last updated: 22.06.2016 // 32nd session of the Human Rights Council from 13 June - 1 July 2016.

Mr President,

Norway thanks the Commission of Inquiry for its report and takes note of its recommendations. As a longstanding friend of Eritrea and its people, we are deeply concerned by the reports of grave human rights violations and lack of accountability for crimes committed.

Norway is committed to strengthen our engagement with the Government of Eritrea. Our aim continues to be to improve the human rights situation in the country and strengthening accountability. The implementation of Universal Periodic Review and the recommendations of other human rights mechanisms should continue. We welcome the visit made to Eritrea by the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights.

We also welcome Eritrea’s expressed commitment to strengthen the judiciary and improve conditions of detention, in collaboration with the UN system, including the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights.

Eritrea is party to several international human rights conventions, among them the CAT, CCPR, CED, CRC and CEDAW. These treaties establish state obligations that put the rights and needs of individuals at the centre. Accountability and transparency at every level of government for the implementation of these instruments is urgently needed.

We understand that Eritrea has extended invitations to several thematic special rapporteurs and we urge the UN and Eritrea to cooperate to make these visits happen as soon as possible, to the benefit of the Eritrean people.

In particular, and in line with Norwegian human rights policy, we urge Eritrea to create and maintain a safe and enabling environment for civil society, human rights defenders and journalists.

Norway also welcomes the Commission’s recommendation for Member States to insist on the implementation of the decision made on 13 April 2002 by the Eritrea-Ethiopia Boundary Commission on the delimitation of the border.

Thank you