Fwd: Book Review: Childbirth Songs In The Traditional Peasant Society of Erit...

From: <HBokure_at_aol.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 11:47:59 -0400

Reprinted Book: SrAt Aro: Childbirth Songs of Rural Eritrea

A Book Review

srAt Aro (Tigrinische Wochenbellieder) Childbirth Songs
By Prof. Johannes Kolmedin and Dr. Carlo Conti Rossini .

The entire contents of the book reveal the attitude of our people towards
women in the traditional agrarian society of Eritrea. It is very
intriguing, and if not, so disturbing to those of us who are in favor of women's
rights in an age of humanistic movement. The love songs are beautifully
expressed in their natural settings. That is why they are so emotional, real, and
simple. I have never read such romantic songs eloquently described in our
colloquial language. However, members of the old establishment, who were
fond of idealizing Amharic as a language of literature, looked down Tigrigna
as crude that falls short of love discourses. It is a gross misjudgment
indeed! One can tell this from reading the long love song of easy- going
"Mamet" of the late nineteenth century Eritrea, who was popular among affluent
courtesans.

The book also has some nursery rhythms, songs of the duos which are
completely forgotten in our society. It was common circa 1910, the heyday of
Kolmedin's scholarly opus in the highlands. This book is a must for those who
are interested in Eritrean women studies, philology, folklore and
literature.
Haile