Goolgule.com: ECOLOGICAL DEGRADATION, ETHNO-NATIONALISM & POLITICAL CONFLICT IN ETHIOPIA

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam59_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 17:24:47 +0200

ECOLOGICAL DEGRADATION, ETHNO-NATIONALISM & POLITICAL CONFLICT IN ETHIOPIA

By Assefa Negash, M.D.
August 29, 2016
tplf ist

A paper which builds on the theme of Tigrean fascism as an expression of ultra-nationalist Tigrean movement that hyperbolizes the identity of the Tigrean ethnic group by establishing a supremacist apartheid state in Ethiopia will follow soon. Fascism is the apogee or apex of an ultra-nationalist revolutionary mass movement that glorifies the unique virtues of a particular ethnic group and it is suffused with issues such as the purity of the blood of a superior ethnic group (i.e.Tigreans in this case) and the inferiority of the other ethnic groups i.e. non-Tigreans. Fascism mobilizes people who are in the throes of deep socio-economic problems with message of hope that heralds the rebirth of a new country and new people out of the ashes of a dark past. It glorifies violence, it cultivates and exudes hubris among its followers. These are things which we have been witnessing in Weyane’s Ethiopia. The recent video images beamed on you tube (a few days after hundreds of Ethiopians were killed in Gondar, Bahr Dar, Aweday, Ambo, Nazareth, Robe, etc) in which hundreds of learned Tigreans, many of them long-time residents in USA, were enthralled by the hypnotizing and blinding effect of Tigrean fascist hubris that has struck deep roots in contemporary Tigrean society. That spectacle eloquently speaks of the pervasive hold of Tigrean ethnic nationalism on Tigreans & the lack of empathy and sensitivity (to the pain of the ethnic others) it generates among its followers. Today Tigrean fascism, like all fascist movements before it, has imbued and fired ts fanatic followers with a sense of superiority, extraordinary sense of patriotism that glorifies the identity of the Tigrean ethnic group and exudes contempt for non-Tigreans. My forthcoming paper, which is divided into several parts, is written in Amharic language as I hope to reach as many Ethiopian readers as I possibly can.

(Please click here to read the article)