(France24) Ethiopia's 'Robel the Whale' booed back home

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 09:30:13 -0400

http://www.france24.com/en/20160811-ethiopias-robel-whale-booed-back-home?ns_campaign=reseaux_sociaux&ns_source=twitter&ns_mchannel=social&ns_linkname=depeche&aef_campaign_ref=partage_user&aef_campaign_date=2016-08-11

11 August 2016 - 12H45

Ethiopia's 'Robel the Whale' booed back home

© AFP/File | Robel Kiros Habte carried the Ethiopian flag during the
Rio Olympic opening ceremony on August 5

ADDIS ABABA (AFP) -

Ethiopian swimmer Robel Kiros Habte has won hearts in Rio but faced a
vitriolic reaction at home Thursday due to accusations that nepotism
is the only reason he is at the Olympics.

The 24-year-old son of the country's swimming boss ranked 59th out of
59 competitors in the men's 100m freestyle heats on Tuesday, posting a
time of 1:04.95 -- half a lap behind anyone else.

Between the rippling abs of the world's finest swimmers, 24-year-old
Habte's generously rounded stomach quite literally stuck out, soon
earning him the affectionate nickname of "Robel the Whale" on social
media.

But internet users in Ethopia -- which regularly produces first-class
athletics champions -- were apoplectic with rage that Robel had been
selected.

"Robel? is symbol of racism, favouritism, incompetence that we're
currently fighting," tweeted Addis Ababa resident Lina T, referring to
a wave of anti-government protests currently engulfing the country.

Habte even took the honour of carrying the flag during the Olympic
opening ceremony on August 5, a symbol of patriotic pride that
Ethiopians were outraged was not given to the world-class runners
walking alongside him.

"It's OK to come last in any competition, somebody has to right? It's
NOT OK to embarrass a nation by entering a competition with no
competence whatsoever," Seble T posted on Facebook.

The Rio heats were Habte's first competitive international tournament.
Ethiopia is landlocked and has no Olympic-sized swimming pool, meaning
swimming is not a traditionally strong sport there.

"Sad that we have so many Robels in the system and it's about time to
realise that is why people are so angry and frustrated," Seble T
added.

Habte had struck a defiant tone following his failed bid for Olympic
glory, potentially adding to the internet firestorm.

"I don't know why I was slower today but it didn't matter where I
finished," he told journalists in Rio.

His father Kiros Habte also defended his son when contacted on
state-owned radio station Fana, saying: "We didn't want results. We
just wanted to participate. That's all."

Users soon called for the swimming chief to be sacked following his comments.

"If I were the authorities, I would fire the father, NOW. Even before
he gets back to Addis. They need to make a statement on this,"
Facebook user Naby B posted.

The Ethiopian athletics federation, which produces the country's
strongest Olympic contingent, has also faced accusations of
incompetence.

Triple Olympic gold medallist and five-time world champion Kenenisa
Bekele was told to stay at home in favour of younger and less
experienced runners.