Report: Earthquakes eyeing striker, La Liga veteran Henok Goitom

From: Semere Asmelash <semereasmelash_at_ymail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 14:54:46 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/08/08/report-earthquakes-eyeing-striker-la-liga-veteran-henok-goitom

Report: Earthquakes eyeing striker, La Liga veteran Henok Goitom

August 9, 2016

by Charles Boehm

Only two teams in MLS have scored fewer goals in 2016 than the San Jose Earthquakes, and in his search for solutions, coach Dominic Kinnear is reportedly running the rule over a veteran of Spain's top divisions.

Swedish media reports claim that the Quakes are in talks to sign Swedish-Eritrean striker Henok Goitom to a six-month contract with an additional option for next season.

The MLS summer transfer window closed last week. But Goitom, who turns 32 next month, is currently out of contract after a short stint in La Liga with Getafe earlier this year and could provide the immediate attacking reinforcement that San Jose's front line seems to need.

Born to Eritrean parents in the Stockhom suburb of Husby, Goitom is a 6-foot-2 target striker who spent much of his career in Italy and Spain with the likes of Udinese, Murcia, Valladolid and Almeria. He returned to Sweden to join his hometown club AIK in 2012 and shined over three seasons in the Allsvenskan, scoring 39 goals in 93 appearances. He is also an Eritrea international, having switched his allegiance after appearing for Swedish youth national teams in his younger days.

Goitom reportedly sought a new contract with AIK after his brief time with Getafe, who were relegated to Spain's second tier at the end of last season. But player and club could not come to terms and he has apparently now turned his focus to San Jose, where he sees opportunities to begin developing his skills for a future career in coaching.

“I got a contract proposal from AIK and the proposal was very far from the proposals that were on the table last fall. I understand of course that the conditions have changed and I do not get a similar proposal last, but the difference was very large,” he was quoted as saying to Aftonbladet.

“The adventure in San Jose is a different adventure with a different type of football … I will get to pick up experience to add to my toolbox for a future as a coach.”